Favorite Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kramerica

Reaction score
My new favorite is centennial. Next is simcoe and Amarillo. I guess I'm not alone because you can't find these anywhere.

Warrior hands down. It is the perfect bittering hop for any style of beer because it has such a high AA you do not need to use as much. This allows me to save more of my flavor and aroma hops like Simcoe and Amarillo which also saves me money. :D

After that will be centennial as I will have the most of that growing. :rockin:

I use a lot of Amarillo and Centennial. Depends on the brew. I brew a lot of Belgians so of course those hops are much different.

I brewed a very simple ale using nelson souvin hops and i really like it. Citra is another fav.

Galaxy is now one of my favorites. I'm also really liking Citra but a Centennial/Cascade combo is still simply amazing.

no order: aroma/flavor: simcoe, amarillo, EKG, centennial, cascade, citra, fuggle, columbus
bittering: horizon's my go to bittering hop, magnum, warrior, target, challenger
columbus is an amazing all round hop, it goes both ways. :ban:

Simcoe and amarillo combined is he best taste I've ever had. I didn't realize until after I brewed with them that many of my favorite ipa's use them.

Spalt Select (and probably Spalt and I think Saaz too, but I've mostly used SS) has a really nice artificial blueberry note to it that I can't get enough of. When combined with a rich decocted maltiness, it makes an awesome beery blueberry muffin sensation.

Cascade would be a cliche except that it continues to legitimize its popularity through awesomeness.

Chinook is the best tool for delivering that crunchy, tongue-scraping bitterness that holds up to big, dark ale worts.

Amarillo, galaxy, and simcoe, are my favorites.
I do mostly Ipa's
Also do SMaSH with these hops...

I'm a Cascade and Willamette guy - they are so versatile, plentiful and affordable...

kramerica said:
I like that combo, simcoe and Amarillo. Anyone use nugget?

Nugget's my default bittering hop--love it. All Nugget IPA was delicious too. But Simcoe & Amarillo hands down when it comes to flavor, with C & C next in line.

Piratwolf said:
Nugget's my default bittering hop--love it. All Nugget IPA was delicious too. But Simcoe & Amarillo hands down when it comes to flavor, with C & C next in line.

Thanks a bunch piratwolf! I had posted questions about an all nugget IPA before but got no replies. I grow nugget and cascade and was going to brew an all nugget to see favor profiles. Do u recall how many oz you used?

HappyLoon said:
Simcoe and amarillo combined is he best taste I've ever had. I didn't realize until after I brewed with them that many of my favorite ipa's use them.

I made an IPA with an ounce of each for the dry hop and it's fantastic!

kramerica said:
Thanks a bunch piratwolf! I had posted questions about an all nugget IPA before but got no replies. I grow nugget and cascade and was going to brew an all nugget to see favor profiles. Do u recall how many oz you used?

No problem.

In a 5 gal batch, with AA of ~13%, I used 1/2 oz at 60 mins, 1/2 oz at 15 min, and 3/4 oz at 1 min for about 45 IBUs. Good stuff!

Chinook is my favorite.

Some other ones that I really like are Simcoe and Willamette. I'm pretty new at brewing so I'm somewhat limited on my hop experience.

some hops i find are good and others let me down.

my favs are
1. EKG by far
2. spalt (just one ive gotten used to- like it and know what to expect from it)
3. cascade

ones ive felt let down by are mainly from lack of pungency/strength of flavour
1. williamette
2. amarillo

i know those two are popular so i expected a bit more but they didnt deliver, maybe old stock... :(

While simcoe, amarillo, citra and centennial are all tasty hops of course, it irks me that 1) they can be very hard to find since they are so popular, and 2) they are becoming ubiquitous in both commercial beers and homebrew. I don't want to be limited to a few hop choices when there are so many good varieties out there.

Some of my new favorite discoveries: Galaxy, Nelson Sauvin, Summit (no onion yet, knock on wood), Pacific Jade, Palisades (nice apricot + herbal/earthy); Also Styrian Goldings (God I could eat those out of the bag!), Fuggles, and some of the earthier hops- mmmm!

I'm also trialing Topaz, Summer and some other obvious choices that I have yet to explore- Chinook, and would love to get my hands on some Riwaka (that one is hard to come by though).

Anyway- 2013- bring on the beerz!

Simcoe, Nelson Sauvin, Amarillo, and Galaxy. I've got some Mosaic on the way so we'll see how that goes, I've got high hopes for that hop based on everything I've read.

Back