Help! Diseased grape wine!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wables

Reaction score
This fall I made my first batch of wine from my home grown grapes. I bottled about 2 month ago. The 1/2 bottle that was consumed at bottling time tasted great! Tonight I took a look at the bottles, and all have something that appears to be growing in them. The are what appear to be small clearish-brown spheres, heavier that the wine, sticking together. Approximate sphere size is 1/32". In one bottle they appear to be growing from the cork in a stick-like pattern about 1" long up the neck. The bottles have been stored at a 30 degree angle with the corks down.

Any idea what this could be? I am just sick! I have been nursing these vines along for 4 years, and this is my first batch of true home grown stuff. Please help!!!

I used Sodium Metabisulfite for sanitation through the whole process, as well as adding campden tabs at every other racking. I also added sorbate and campden at bottling.

I have no idea what that is, but it certainly sounds like an infection. I'd open one, pour it out and smell it and take a closer look at it just to figure out what it is.

I assume you did everything "right" and didn't bottle too early, although I've never bottled a wine until it was at least 8 months old. And your sanitation sounds fine.

I wish I could help you with this- but I really have no idea what it could be :(

Back