broken thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onelostrn

Reaction score
Took the fall of from brewing to drink up some of my stash. My first brew back a delicous smelling esb. Everthing went great until it came time to chill the wort. Hooked up the immersion chiller and was chilling my wort and all of the sudden i hear the tinkle of little balls hitting the bottom of my pot. UGH!!! I forgot to remove my thermometer floating in my wort. Oh well just wanted to vent. I hate it when a good batch of beer has to go down the drain.

what? is their mercury in the thermometer or somthing? otherwise get a big daddy thermometer and never worry.or could you have just filtered it?

I lost a batch a couple weeks ago... same thing. I just ordered thermocouples from Omega. That isn't going to happen again!

thought maybe science would come up with maybe a food safe utensil apparantly not in the 21st century.Honestly i dont see how it would be legal but then again its legal to put in cancer causing pesticides/additives/colorings/hormones/gmo thats never been long term tested/............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ when will it end-- thinning the herd i guess.

:off:
thought maybe science would come up with maybe a food safe utensil apparantly not in the 21st century.Honestly i dont see how it would be legal but then again its legal to put in cancer causing pesticides/additives/colorings/hormones/gmo thats never been long term tested/............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ when will it end-- thinning the herd i guess.

:off: there i did it.did i say that? did i go there?:p

ok. filter it and get the glass out. but the mercury is still in there

I hate to be a pary-pooper but the red liquid in a common brew or laboatory thermometer is not mercury. Murcury is silver color and is difficult to find and expensive. The red liquid is alcohol with a red dye in it. The amount of fluid in the tube is miniscule because it is a capillary tube.

If you have (had) a silver fluid in your thermometer it was Galinstan, not mercury. Google galinstan. Mercury has not been used in food grade stuff for decades.

It was the red one with the little balls in the bottom. I thought about filtering it, but couldn't get over the chance of someone getting sick. Thought it was beter to just dump it.

Latest posts

Back