This is the beer that I have brewed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you my very first glass of pale ale.

DSC00025-1.jpg

I cracked it open a little early because I was getting antsy to see if I'd screwed up. I brewed this with the Mr. Beer kit my Dad gave me for Christmas. I stumbled on a couple of steps during the process so for the last few weeks I've been wondering if I was going to wind up with two gallons of Pabst Blue Ribbon. Thankfully, this was not the case. It's light, crisp and is very pleasing to the tastebuds. There's also a considerable alcohol content.

The outcome is quite surprising as I expected my first batch to be a complete failure.

Here is the appropriate smiley to express my sense of satisfaction: :rockin:

I just wanted to share this moment of glory with the forum.

Hey we just posted and made the same beer!!!

What did you put in yours in terms of extra sugars? I was impressed with the alcohol content and quality of taste.

Looks good from here. Congratulations on your first beer. Brew what you like and there are a # of good homebrew stores online that sell very nice kit with a wide assortment of clones and store recipes. No chill haze whatsoever, quite nice.

Remember that making good beer is very forgiving. There are stories on the forum and others where we all have had a mishap along the way on a brew day and the finished product was still a good or even great beer. My recommendation to any new brewer is to take good notes with enough detail that you could go back 3 months later and re-read and fully understand. Taste your beer along the way at each and every stage to gain an understanding of what contributes different flavours and how those flavours change throughout the brewing and fermentation process. Again, congratulations and what's your next brew?

Watch out!! Mr. Beer was my gateway drug to this (at first) expensive hobby. Now I can't go anywhere without thinking, "crap, that would make a great brewing shed....Geez, I could totally use these tubes for my keg setup...wow, first I need a keg setup..etc etc. Good luck. Get the basics down with Mr. Beer and then quickly move on. It works..but you don't have a lot of control over the final outcome. At least you learn the steps in sanitation and patience though.

Back