Pellicle Photo Collection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bagged up the fermentation? Novel idea to reduce oxygen through the sides and top? Or to save the fermenter from exclusive wild fermentations?

Mostly to save the fermenter for clean beers later and to ease clean-up in general. I've been using bags even on my clean beers since it makes cleaning out my fermenters extremely easy.

Sorry for the quality, during the weekend I'll try to take better shots!
Red Flanders!

IMG_20151014_223400.jpg

IMG_20151014_223343.jpg

IMG_20151014_223239.jpg

IMG_20151014_223201.jpg

Can I play? Probably my favorite thread on HBT. I just love grossing people out by showing them pellicles. :)

A little under 3 months and it's already pretty sour. Also had somewhat of a spicy kick to it..?? Gonna let it sit for another couple of months. :)

21986504348_40d3a39ba4_b.jpg

Those are incredible pictures. What type of camera did you use?

I used the camera on my Samsung Note 3. It happens to work perfectly because the lens and flash fit into the carboy neck. I am not even sure that I want to sample this beer. I just grew it for fun because I love how pellicles look. I mixed about a gallon of golden milk stout wort with my trub from my sour mashed peach berliner weisse and it grew quickly!

I used the camera on my Samsung Note 3. It happens to work perfectly because the lens and flash fit into the carboy neck. I am not even sure that I want to sample this beer. I just grew it for fun because I love how pellicles look. I mixed about a gallon of golden milk stout wort with my trub from my sour mashed peach berliner weisse and it grew quickly!

Brew a lightly hopped 4 gallon smash, blend back into that, rack over cherries in a year. You can't kill it now, you should feed it.

The hell is a golden milk stout?

This is after a week in primary sitting on a starter of Wyeast 3031 (Saison-Brett blend). How long would I expect to sit on this before a proper pellicle forms and I can rack to secondary?

horse blanket.jpg

This is after a week in primary sitting on a starter of Wyeast 3031 (Saison-Brett blend). How long would I expect to sit on this before a proper pellicle forms and I can rack to secondary?
rack to secondary as soon as primary is done. don't wait for a pellicle. the CO2 in the beer will help protect it as you transfer.

you don't need a pellicle to make a good sour/funky beer.

That looks like a giant yeast raft. pellicle's typically form due to o2 in the head space. should still try to minimize the amount of o2 in the head space.

A split fermentation Berliner that I brewed recently had a wicked lacto fermentation the first 24 hours or so (harvested off of some grain) and apparently decided to form a nice round buttocks shape. Nice and veiny too. About an hour after I took this picture I guess the CO2 pushed all of the oxygen out because the pellicle completely dropped out and left a nice clean surface.

pellicle.jpg

Fantome & kriek dreg starter. Should've gotten a profile pic it was 3 dimensional, not just a growth on top of liquid. 2 starters had same growth, both dumped. Makes me question my cleaning regimen.

A split fermentation Berliner that I brewed recently had a wicked lacto fermentation the first 24 hours or so (harvested off of some grain) and apparently decided to form a nice round buttocks shape. Nice and veiny too. About an hour after I took this picture I guess the CO2 pushed all of the oxygen out because the pellicle completely dropped out and left a nice clean surface.

That's the breast pellicle I've ever seen! [emoji57]

Looks like a shaved ball sack

rack to secondary as soon as primary is done. don't wait for a pellicle. the CO2 in the beer will help protect it as you transfer.

you don't need a pellicle to make a good sour/funky beer.

Getting weirder after a week...15 days total in primary.

I think the saison yeast has attenuated but Brett is still chugging...there is a positive dP but only small bubbles. The smell is fantastic, like a sour sweaty gym sock. Haven't taken a gravity reading yet but it's probably under 1.010 by now (85% AA).

So...when is primary "done"?

IMG_1546.jpg

Getting weirder after a week...15 days total in primary.

I think the saison yeast has attenuated but Brett is still chugging...there is a positive dP but only small bubbles. The smell is fantastic, like a sour sweaty gym sock. Haven't taken a gravity reading yet but it's probably under 1.010 by now (85% AA).

If you're going to rack to secondary go for it even if by chance there are a few gravity points left to ferment the yeast and brett still in suspension will have no problem finishing them off. Just dont bottle until you have a stable gravity. Every brett saison/farmhouse type beer I've ever done finished close to 1.000.

that looks plenty done. rack away. fill up the secondary to the very the top!

If you're going to rack to secondary go for it even if by chance there are a few gravity points left to ferment the yeast and brett still in suspension will have no problem finishing them off. Just dont bottle until you have a stable gravity. Every brett saison/farmhouse type beer I've ever done finished close to 1.000.
+1. and i've had some finish as high as 1.004 but yeah, expect a low final gravity.

My pellicle, this is my first spontaneus, i left 2 liters wort for two days in garden and after a week i have this. Tree days ago a beautifull smell, now no smell.
Someone can help me what is this? good or bad?
Do you think is dangerous to taste?
Do you think i can use it to make a sour beer? if yes, i have to use only the liquid part?

20151029_080740.jpg

20151029_080747.jpg

My pellicle, this is my first spontaneus, i left 2 liters wort for two days in garden and after a week i have this. Tree days ago a beautifull smell, now no smell.
Someone can help me what is this? good or bad?
Do you think is dangerous to taste?
Do you think i can use it to make a sour beer? if yes, i have to use only the liquid part?

It's something, can't say what exactly. I would give it some more time before tasting. If it tastes good in a month or two, add some fresh wort and step it up. If that batch tastes good, maybe pitch it in a full size batch.

Back