Made too big of a starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hlumbard

Reaction score
So Mr. Malty said 1.5 L standard starter or 1L with intermittent shaking. I made a 1.5 and have been shaking it whenever I can. Can I save a pint size mason jar's worth for a future brew? I'm thinking just star san a jar and lid and pour a little in and refrigerate, would this be sufficient or do I need to get more serious? I'm thinking I could then make a new starter from this later?

Thoughts?

personally, i'd just pitch what you have and harvest from your primary after your beer is done. you're not going to be overpitching with what you've got, if that's what you're worried about.

and yes, you can star san a jar (or beer bottle... I like to use grolsch bottles) and put slurry init to use later.

I've been thinking of saving off small portions of starters for future brews myself. Seems to be safer than using potentially exhausted and/or mutated yeast. Let it ferment until it flocs and then save it in the weak alcohol beer it is in.

Back