Best Brewing Mistake I've Made

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reustonium

Reaction score
I've recently benefited from a mistake...

Long story short, I made an IPA over a year ago that was WAY too bitter (I'm a hop-head and even I thought it was undrinkable).

I let it sit in my kegerator for the last year before trying it 2 weeks ago, still too bitter, and now the malt flavor was all but gone, I was ready to dump the batch to make room for new production until...

I was testing my kegerator temperatures and I accidentally froze the keg, I let it sit outside the last 2 days figuring I'd dump it soon anyway when I pulled a pint while brewing today for the hell of it.

IMG_3194.JPG

IMG_3195.JPG

I have accidentally merged IPA with Eisbock to create 'Double Eis-PA', it's easily the best homebrew I've ever had, very sweet with plenty of alcohol warmth to finally balance the bitterness. :mug:

Here is the 'beer slushy' I was left with in the keg
IMG_3199.JPG

So rather than dumping the batch I ended up gettin just under 24 bottles :rockin:

I don't really remember the exact recipe but it was something like this...

Mostly 2-row, with lil 40-L
Hops were Simcoe and Amarillo, something to the tune of 100+ IBU's.
Wyeast 1056

If I had to guess the OG was probably around 1.055

The only sad part is I have no idea how much ice was created during the freeze so it will be hard to duplicate.

Latest posts

Back