hops for a pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmywit

Reaction score
I would like to do a pale ale next and am wondering what a good hop selection would be. Alot of recipes call for cascade hops for bittering,flavoring, and aroma or centennial. Are these the best to use or does anyone have any other suggestions. I plan on maybe steeping 60 lovibond crystal and using 5-6lbs of dme. Any thoughts would be great.

Cascade is awesome. Check out https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/bee-cave-brewery-haus-pale-ale-31793/ for a great example of a pale, I made it for my third beer and cascade is just great. Crystal 60 is a little dark for a pale ale too you might wanna consider a crystal 20.

As for centennial, that is primarily for IPAs, but thats not to say it wouldnt work in a pale in smaller quantities. My IPA thats currently in the fermenter is all centennial so I cant speak for the taste but gosh damn do those hops smell good.

Pale ale is painting with a pretty broad brush. But I agree with everyone else,,Cascades is a go to hops for that.

I've had an IPA with Warrior hops in it which was fantastic, those have got to be some of the most bitter hops you can find.

Amarillo is another good hop for APAs.

I just made an APA with equal parts centennial and cascade (mostly late hops) and dry hopped with amarillo. I am going to keg it later today, but the samples have been good so far!

Eric

Amarillo is another good hop for APAs.

I just made an APA with equal parts centennial and cascade (mostly late hops) and dry hopped with amarillo.

Would you consider replacing the Cascade with Amarillo? I've got both, but was wondering if Centennial and Amarillo pair as well as Centennial and Cascade... in the same way that Simcoe pairs well with Amarillo...

Would you consider replacing the Cascade with Amarillo? I've got both, but was wondering if Centennial and Amarillo pair as well as Centennial and Cascade... in the same way that Simcoe pairs well with Amarillo...

They pair great. Us the higher Alpha for bittering and the lower for flavor and aroma. That way you'll use less hops.

+1 on Cascade, Centennial, Amarillo

For bittering, I like Magnum, because it's really clean and then I can add flavor from there. I use Magnum to bitter almost all of my beers.

Latest posts

Back