Help: Oatmeal Stout, OG way too high?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddwill

Reaction score
Just finished brewing Oatmeal Stout last night by following another recipe, called for an OG of 1.070. Mine finished out at 80*F as 1.108.

I dont know how to explain this other than it being a partial grain mash and I could have sparged well?

I feel like if I let the Irish ALe yeast I pitched do there work, it might get to 6-8% alc, but that because my original gravity was so high there will be a lot of sugar left over. Should I pitch the secondary with a high alc. yeast (BArley wine or English ale?) or let it be an extremely thick sweet stout?

Thanks for any feedback.

Post the recipe and people will be able to help more.

+1. We can calculate what your OG should have been and maybe point out some issues with your technique. Regardless, 1.108 is way high and I'd be willing to bet you just got an inaccurate reading.

Okay, here is the recipe

Steep: .5# pale 2 row
.5# roast barley
.5# choc malt
.5# black patent malt
1# flaked oats
.5# brit crystal 20
.25# brit crystal 110

Boil: 7# Light LME
Bullion 1oz 60 min
Hallertauer .5oz 45min
Fuggles .25oz aroma
Saaz .25 oz aroma
.5# Crushed Java Bean

Is this sample after you topped off the fermenter? Did you mix the top off water in well? If not, and you got a sample from the bottom, that could skew your results. That recipe can't make 5 gallons of 1.108 wort.

excuse me, i did have 1 gallon with an air stone in the fermenter, and then added approx. .3-.5 gallons on top of the wort before fermenting, there is probably approximately 5.5 gallons in the fermenter now.

So you think I probably got an innacurate reading? And if so what would you assume my S.G. would actually be?

On another note... The room that I have been fermenting in has run at 69*F for the entire summer, and now for some reason is 75*f where the fermenter adds a couple of degrees to that (78*F). Will that significantly affect the taste?

That's definitely an inaccurate reading. The OG should be around 1.066 I think.

78 is a bit warm and off flavors will depend somewhat on the yeast strain your using. Just throw it in a plastic tub with water and some frozen water bottles until fermentation is done, or until the room temp drops back to normal.

1.066 is close to the expected S.G. we shall see.

Temp finally dropped in the room to 70*F and is still fermenting, however it was in the upper 70's for at least 24 hours of fermentation.

I hope that it turns out, thanks for the replies!

Back