Help with dishwasher sanitation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee-Ryan

Reaction score
I figured I'd try to sanitize my bottles in the dishwasher(high heat cycle, no soap) Well I'm not using my dishwasher and didn't notice the cartridge of Finish dishwasher detergent that automatically dispenses. Now my bottles are being washed in a soapy solution. My thoughts are can I take the cartridge out and run em through again on the high heat cycle rinse or did I just ruin 2 cases of bottles? Help?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Just run them through again without detergent. It's not the detergent that's the problem with dishwasher sanitation. It's spot removers like Jet Dry.
Or is Finish a spot remover?

. . . and welcome to the forum from just up the river in Stockton, NJ.

AnOldUR said:
Just run them through again without detergent. It's not the detergent that's the problem with dishwasher sanitation. It's spot removers like Jet Dry.

Thanks man. That's what I was gonna do and cross my fingers.

AnOldUR said:

. . . and welcome to the forum from just up the river in Stockton, NJ.

Stockton wow! I'm rebuilding a bridge on 32 in new hope by the stockton bridge there. Nice! Cheers!

Oops!

When you wrote detergent I thought it was just a detergent, but Googled it and found:

Is FINISH® the same as ELECTRASOL® and JET-DRY®?

FINISH® products are the same ELECTRASOL® and JET-DRY® products that you know and trust, now backed by the power of the world's #1 dishwashing brand.

Could be bad. I'd think that a soak in StarSan might remove it, but don't know.

Yeah. I thought it was too. Says it leaves nothing but the shine. I'm gonna try a hot rinse in the dishwasher and the star San.

Also found this. It says for further performance use Jet Dry, so it looks like it doesn't have it in it. Finish has a lot of products. Some with and some without Jet Dry. Not sure which you have.

finish.jpg

It looks like it's the regular. Wish I would've noticed it before I started it it only ran for about 10 mins in there before I took it out. Like I said it's not my dishwasher. Oops. Oh well I'm finishing out the cycle then gonna do another rinse. Hope for the best.

Just run it on the rinse cycle. The beauty of glass vs. Plastc is that glass doesn't hold on to surfactants like Finish. A good rinse with hot water will take it right off. When you are finally drinking the beer, if some glasses have proper carbonation with no head then you know the Finish was not rinsed off properly.

The only problem with using products like Finish is that the residue can kill head retention.

Personally, I don't recommend using a dishwasher to sanitize bottles, I don't trust that entire surface inside the bottle is getting hit with sanitizer. Get a Vinator ($15-20) and use that with StarSan or iodophor if you're looking for an easy & reliable way to sanitize bottles.

Personally, I don't recommend using a dishwasher to sanitize bottles, I don't trust that entire surface inside the bottle is getting hit with sanitizer.
It's got nothing to do with "getting hit with sanitizer" or even water. Heat is what sanitizes in a dishwasher on the antibacterial cycle.

The bottle has to be clean before sanitizing in a dishwasher.

I just put the washer on rinse and heated dry. Works every time. I do make sure to rinse the bottles completely with hot water whenever I finish a beer so they are ready to sanitize. :mug:

When I do bottle, the dishwasher is the way I sanitize. I put the clean bottles in on the light wash/sanitize cycle without detergent. Our dishwasher has a reservoir that holds jet dry that lasts for x amount of cycles. We use it for our dishes, so I really don't have any way of draining it when I sanitize, so I just run the bottles with jet dry in there. I've never noticed any detrimental effects to the taste of the beer...though head retention may suffer a bit. Not really any big deal to me.

Back