Adding malt extract at end of boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biojen

Reaction score
I recently ordered an extract kit from Austin Homebrew Supply. The instructions say to add all of the malt extract and malto dextrin at the end of the boil, after removing the wort from the heat.

I've been brewing extract kits for several years, and have never encountered instructions quite like this before.

What is the reason for boiling the malt for less than 60 minutes, or in this case, not at all?

(This is one of AHS's "Session Series" extract kits, designed for a rapid brew that I can drink while I'm waiting on my holiday ale and imperial stout to mature to maximum tastiness.)

Thanks!

Jen

The malt has already been boiled. Mainly what you are after with the boil is hop utilization and sterilizsation. It sounds like the recipe assumes a fairly low gravity during the boil to get the correct amount of hop utilization. I assume there are steeping grains in the kit, right? Or, I suppose the other possibility is that the it's using a hopped wort extract and there are no hop additions in the kit...

Hi Jen and welcome!

Two thoughts:

1. Late addition extract brewing is a trusted technique. It gives you a lighter color and reduces the chances of carmelization, which is a greater risk in partial boil extract brewing. But, you don't add *all* the extract at the end - you need some wort to fully utilize the hops during the boil. Is this a partial mash recipe?

2. You might give the folks at Austin a call - they seem straight forward and helpful.

Good luck with your brew!

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, there are steeping grains, and bittering hops that go in at the beginning of the boil (-60 min) as well as additional hops at -15 minutes.

If malt extracts are essentially already boiled, why are they typically added at the beginning? I see people use a lot of different strategies for adding extract (all at beginning; some at beginning, some half-way through the boil; all towards the end, etc.).

Seems like years ago, all of the recipes just called for putting it all in at the start, and I was always pretty happy with the results.

Times have changed and so have techniques.

I'e been brewing Late Additions and Small Boils ever since I started brewing (1994).

LMD and DME have already been boiled once so it's not necessary to do it again.

The only reason you boil 60 mins is for hops utilization.

I find it best to keep your boil water (1 gal) and grain/LME/DME (1 pound) ratio about the same to get better hop utilization/bitterness extraction,
2 gals:2 lbs, etc.

After boiling for 60 mins (I only boil for 45) you remove the pot from the flame and add and dissolve the remaining LME/DME per the recipe and steep for 15 minutes to pasteurize the malt.

FWIW, I always recommend staying away from LME as the beer you make will be darker than you anticipate it to be.

Times have changed and so have techniques.

I'e been brewing Late Additions and Small Boils ever since I started brewing (1994).

LMD and DME have already been boiled once so it's not necessary to do it again.

The only reason you boil 60 mins is for hops utilization.

I find it best to keep your boil water (1 gal) and grain/LME/DME (1 pound) ratio about the same to get better hop utilization/bitterness extraction,
2 gals:2 lbs, etc.

After boiling for 60 mins (I only boil for 45) you remove the pot from the flame and add and dissolve the remaining LME/DME per the recipe and steep for 15 minutes to pasteurize the malt.

FWIW, I always recommend staying away from LME as the beer you make will be darker than you anticipate it to be.

This is right on target except for the LME making beer darker. Boiling the extract for an hour will make it somewhat darker. We also use LME that has a lovibond rating of 1. Even 2-row is 1.8 lovibond. Yes, it is hard to believe but the LME is ligher than the grain. There are stores that use much darker extract or extract from cans (metallic taste and much darker). For example Muntons pale extract has a lovibond of 5, this is the same as our amber extract. Muntons extra pale is still only 4 lovibond. I have seen some pale extracts that look like our dark extract at some stores.

If the recipe calls for our extra pale extract and you do late edition it should be as light or lighter than all-grain.

Forrest

OH yea! :tank:
Now that should be pretty light and maybe even fool a few BMC drinkers.

Sorry for being

:off::

but yeah, I like fooling the BMC drinkers! I did that with a Cream Ale I brewed up - it got drank up by non-craft drinkers within a couple of hours.

:mug:

Now back to our scheduled programming . . .

Back