Secondary Temp Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaBearSox

Reaction score
How important is it to keep a seondary under temp control...Will it still produce a lot of off flavors when it is off the cake?

I use a mini fridge for my primaries with a Johnson Controller for about a week. I move to my secondary and put it in the closet where the ambiant temp is usually 68-74 degrees...

I keep all my secondaries (for ales) in my house at around 65-68F, they seem to turn out pretty good. I'd like to make a temp controller but that's more because I need a good excuse to build things from time to time.

I usually keep mine in primary 10-14 days, some longer. i usually try to get it to warm up a little for the last few days to get the yeasties to re-consume of its by products. My thoughts are if you keep if somewhat in the ballpark of the primary you are fine. Not a whole lot going on here, but i wouldn't want to let it get to 85+ or something like that.

I use a mini fridge for my primaries with a Johnson Controller for about a week. I move to my secondary and put it in the closet where the ambiant temp is usually 68-74 degrees...
alcoholism treatment

Back