George Killians Irish Red recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richardclarknc

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good recipe that is like George Killians Irish Red?

Yes this is my first post. Am I crazy to be trying this for my first brew?
I have never brewed anything before and I am still trying to get all the stuff around to start.

So if anyone has a list of equipment that I will need and a place to purchase the equipment that would be awesome.

Killian's is a lager. You will not be able to make a clone unless you have a fridge or a fermentation chiller (or other means) to ferment at 50*F for 3 weeks.

That said you will be reasonably close with this extract recipe:

6# Munich LME (Austin Homebrew sells it)
2# Light LME
4oz Crystal 120
2oz Roasted Barley
8oz Carapils

Bring enough bottled or filtered water to fill your pot 2/3s full to 160*F. Turn off the heat and drop in the Carapils/Crystal/Roasted barley in a grain bag. Cover and let steep for 30 minutes. Remove the grain bag, bring the liquid to a boil, turn off the heat. Add the extract, stirring well to ensure none is stuck to the bottom of the pot. Then turn the heat back on, bring back to a boil, and add 1oz of Fuggles hops. Boil for 40 minutes. Add 1oz of Goldings hops and boil for 20 more minutes. Cover with a lid and chill in a water bath, changing the water every 5 minutes until pot is cool to the touch. You can use ice in the water bath after three changes of sink water to speed cooling. Dump the wort into a sanitized fermenter and top off with bottled water to make 5 gallons. Pitch one package of SafAle US-05 dry ale yeast and ferment in the 60's *F for two weeks.

As for equipment/etc. check the beginner's forum, read through the sticky posts, and ask questions there if your questions aren't answered in any of the sticky posts. I buy my supplies from Austin Homebrew, if you check you may find there is a homebrew supply store in your area you can drive to. A local homebrew supply store (LHBS) will be able to supply you with equipment and answer questions.

Instead I would buy this:

Austin Homebrew Supply

It is my recipe and it is identical. You can brew it as an ale .
I don't like roasted barley as a coloring agent in reds. It tends to add a roasty flavor that is not there in Killians.

Try the kit I am sure you will love it.

Forrest

Forrest gave me some tips on an AG killians style beer that i fermented as an ale and it was almost spot on, not my fav beer but it was made for a friend.

Back