co2 and beer line QD's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juvinious

Reaction score
I'm in need of quick disconnects for my co2 lines and beer lines, so I went over to mcmaster and spec'd these out. Man did it come out to be pricey.

5012K712 - Acetal Quick-Disconnect Coupling Plug, 1/4" Size, for 5/16" Tube ID, with Valve - $6.45 Each
5012K672 - Acetal Quick-Disconnect Coupling Socket, 1/4" Size, for 5/16" Tube ID, with Valve - $6.67 Each
5385K24 - NSF Gray Polypro Quick-Disconnect Tube Cplg Socket, 3/8" Size, for 3/8" Tube ID, with Valve (Same as 5385K1) - $12.50 Each
5385K54 - NSF Gray Polypro Quick-Disconnect Tube Cplg Plug, 3/8" Size, for 3/8" Tube ID, with Valve (Same as 5385K1) - $9.62 Each

Multiply each by 4 or 5 and I'm close to $200 bones on just pairs of QD's. :drunk:

Does anyone know of a cheaper solution? Or am I just going to have to bite the bullet on this one?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

I checked them out and compared a bit today. They roughly have the same prices depending on the material and manufacturer. I guess I'm just going to have to wait a bit (like next paycheck :p) before I go ahead and get them
Thanks for the heads up though. :mug:

Yeah, QDs are expensive.
Why do you want QDs for the beer/CO2 lines? I understand using them for brewing, but it sounds like an unnecessary expense for a kegerator/jockey box.

There are some applications for using them, like if you need to convert your lines between keg types (specifically Sanke and Corny). If you want to just switch between ball lock and pinlock, your best bet is to just use flare fitting keg QD's and barb/nuts on the lines.

You DO know that corny connector ARE quick disconnects right?

There are some applications for using them, like if you need to convert your lines between keg types (specifically Sanke and Corny). If you want to just switch between ball lock and pinlock, your best bet is to just use flare fitting keg QD's and barb/nuts on the lines.

You DO know that corny connector ARE quick disconnects right?

Well that's mainly the reason, I have 4 taps (5 down the road) that more than likely will be rotating between sanke and corny connections until I get to brewing more than I can drink :cross: ... hence my dilemma.

Have you considered going with 1/4" MFL fittings all around? You can get ball lock / pin lock disconnects that have a 1/4" MFL fitting on them and you can get a sanke tailpiece that has a 1/4" MFL fitting on it. Then you would just need 1/4" FFL barbed swivel nuts on all your lines.

http://pivo.northernbrewer.com/nbstore/action/search-do?searchTerm=k027&x=0&y=0
tailpiece-mfl.jpg

For the disconnects: http://www.austinhomebrew.com/index.php?cPath=178_40_271_129_371

Then to swap, you'd just loosen the swivel nut and swap the lines. Maybe not as fast as a QD, but definitely cheaper! :mug:

Excellent, that seems like it is a way cheaper solution than I was going for and should do the trick.
Thanks again for the info.

Back