Priming sugar vs Cane sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meadows57

Reaction score
Is there any noticable difference or reason(s) for "not" substituting cane sugar for priming sugar when priming bottled beer?

Cane sugar is sucrose which is digested slower then the Glucose in Priming sugar. Cane sugar also has slightly more energy, so you might use 2/3 cup instead of 3/4 cup of priming sugar.

Neither are really much of an issue. If I use cane sugar, I'll "invert" it with a squeeze of lemon sugar. This converts the sucrose into glucose and fructose.

nick

HP_Lovecraft said:
Cane sugar is sucrose which is digested slower then the Glucose in Priming sugar. Cane sugar also has slightly more energy, so you might use 2/3 cup instead of 3/4 cup of priming sugar.

Neither are really much of an issue. If I use cane sugar, I'll "invert" it with a squeeze of lemon sugar. This converts the sucrose into glucose and fructose.

nick
Ok newby time, What is lemon sugar and how do you use it to invert your sugar??

He probably means lemon juice.

The "inversion" is just breaking apart the bonds between the two simple sugar molecules that make up sucrose.

Priming sugar is D-glucose, or Dextrose. Same thing.

HP_Lovecraft said:

nick
It was my understanding that when you boil a cane sugar solution, you are in fact transforming it into a simple sugar. Would that not be an equivolent to glucose (priming sugar)?

I just bottled with cane sugar. used 5 oz and am an impatient child, who can not wait for his beer to be ready. tried one just now, and it has wonderful head, nice lace, and to me seems pretty well carbonated.

i am also in a biochem class right now, and had an exam about disaccharides. so, my excuse for being on the forums, is "i'm studying".

I wasn't drinking it while in class. I can think of no better way to relax after an exam, than with a home brew.

Also, as has been mentioned above, dextrin (glucose) is a monosaccharide. Sucrose, is a disaccharide of glucose and fructose. Yeast convert the glucose to ethanol (fermentation), going through fructose (an intermediate molecule in the pathway). So, it seems that using table sugar should increase carbonation. That makes sense why you guys said to cut back on the amount used.

The Lemon juice (citric acid) lowers the pH, causing the sucrose to break up into glucose and fructose, speeding up the whole process.

Here is a map of the biochemical pathways of yeast. The fermentation process is on the right hand side.

http://pathway.yeastgenome.org/YEAST/new-image?type=OVERVIEW

Back