Yes, it's time for more Pliny @ Capones in Norristown, PA!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewt00l

Reaction score
http://beeradvocate.com/events/info/15367

eh, I guess it is an ok lineup of taps for the night:

1: Pliny the Elder,
2: Collaboration not Litigation,
3: Magic Hat Ravel Porter,
4: Great Lakes Blackout Stout,
5: Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald,
6: Bull Frog Edgar IPA, & possible surprise keg from Bull Frog
7: Bells Expedition,
8: Rogue 10,000 Brew,
9: Victory Hop Wallop,
10: EastEnd Kvass,
11: EastEnd Black Strap Stout,

and More drafts to come.

;)

Ryan_PA said:
Are you definitely going on Weds?

If so, shoot me a PM.

I will prb be going either Wed or Thurs...though the last keg of Pliny kicked pretty quick and by the time I got there, they pull the last glass moments before. Capones has some tasty food so my GF and I usually head over for dinner on their special draught nights. I'll shoot you a pm when I know what's up.

The Kavass was brewed in some capacity with NJ Heavyweight brewing co's Tom Baker. It sounds pretty interesting:

"The very first US Commercially Brewed Batch of KVASS - a Russian "Bread Beer", brewed from 30 loaves of stale Rye Bread, malted Barley, malted Rye, and some Brown Malt. The whole idea for this beer came from Tom Baker of Heavyweight Brewing. The second batch used 100 loaves of bread and was fermented by a tiny amount of dry bread yeast. This will be the listing for all subsequent batches of Kvass, and currently holds the ratings for Session Ales #5 and #8."
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/east-end-kvass/74938/

..the rest of ya 'jackers...silly rabbits :)

We had:

Rogue 10,000 – 10% Flavor and body reminded me of some triple IPAs/hoppy barleywine/strong ales like Founders Devil Dancer. Big malty flavor backed with substantial fresh piney hop, very light alcohol note and thick (but not too syrupy) mouth-feel. Loads of complexity on the malt side of the flavor profile and a relatively clean finish that kept it from being too sweet.

Bullfrog Edgar IPA – 8% Very floral and citrusy IPA that starts off with a good malty flavor backed by a strong hoppy middle. This one was a bit confusing as it had a really long finish that ended with a slight off flavor note.

East End Black Strap Stout – 6.5% Black as ink with a coco colored head..a really good looking beer in the glass. Big roasted and chocolate malt flavors and a burst of molasses in the middle. Light mouthfeel with a dry finish. We were slightly split on this one; my girlfriend loved it as is while I thought that a bit more body would have taken it over the top. Either way, it was tasty.

East End Kavass – 3.5% Cloudy with almost zero head, looked like swamp water. Distinct bready aroma. The flavor was grainy, bready & fruity with a light sour note, finished dry and spicy. Thin mouthfeel and very light on the palate. Both of us found this unique and very good (we both like sour beers).

RR Pliny the Elder – 6% This is the IPA that every brewer wishes they came up with...a beautiful beer. This lives up to and surpasses the hype.

If you are in the area, you owe it to yourself to swing by and sample some of these great beers. I am looking forward to more Pliney and hitting the great lakes brews next.

Round two:

More Pliny
More Black Strap Stout (changed my tune on this one....)
More Kavass

Bullfrog Blackberry Hefe - not bad, not too over the top like some fruit beers but tough to stand out with the other selections

Magic Hat Ravell Porter - the GF's favorite of the night, sweet with lots of chocolate and vanilla flavors. Beats me why they don't bottle this anymore....

Great Lakes Edmond Fitzgerald Porter - malt bomb with a super creamy head. Tasty but sweet enough to be a desert beer.

Back