High FG due to high temp and short time mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patirck

Reaction score
I recently made a batch of pilsnerish beer - (about 70% pils 30%vienna) and I had a problem during the mash with the automation - it was registering 149 while the mash tun was actually close to 180. It only got about 15 minutes of more or less proper mash temps before the problem occurred.

Bottom line is that I started with 1.048 wort, put in two fermenters, one with Euro ale (wlp011) and the other with East coast Ale (wlp008) yeast. It has been two weeks and they are holding steady at 1.018 and 1.020 respectively.

I think I have a very high proportion of unfermentables but I'm wondering if there is anything I can due to help the gravity get lower?

They have been in a ferm chamber at 64 in kegs.

The 180 mash temp is the culprit here, now what to do?

If you like the taste of the fermenting brew then carb and enjoy.

If you don't you could experiment with some amylase http://www.homebrewing.org/Amylase-Enzyme-15-oz_p_1081.html

You could try experimenting with the fart reducing pill Beano which is a type of amylase.

All experimtal though. I have no experience with the stuff aside from the Alpha and Beta Amylase process that occurs naturally in our mash.

I've heard some people say it works and others warn against it because applying the correct amount is difficult to do precisely and have also read it definetly breaks down the long starch chains and allows the yeast to eat them up, sometimes to well resulting in a FG close to 1.000

Just my 2 pennies. Take them with a grain of salt.

Enjoy as is or introduce some Brett and make them into sours.

Sorry about the mess up with your automated system, sounds frustrating.

Thanks for the response - I'm a bit up to my armpits in sours at the moment - I went a little sour crazy the last few months. I may try some amylase and see what happens.

Is there any problem harvesting the yeast from these? I should probably do this before I add the amylase.

Back