New Kegs - CIP-only poppets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cscade

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am thinking about pulling the trigger on some new corneys from NB, but I see in the description that the poppets can't be removed and must be CIP.

This sounds terrible. Can anyone tell me if I'm just overreacting, and it's actually just fine?

I'm sick and tired of fighting with reconditioned kegs, and my tests with sixtels have not yielded the results I was hoping for either. So new corneys seem like the way to go, but I'm not sure how I feel about something that can't be disassembled.

Most of the poppets in my pinlocks aren't removable either, takes an extra 20 seconds to clean em.

I have an Italian made keg like that. The poppets are wedged up into the post. If it bothers you I'm pretty sure you can bend the legs on the poppet and get it out. It's really wedged up there and if it's removed I'm not sure you can get it to seat up there propery again. Maybe replace with one of those universal poppets that can be disasembled?

Push PBW solution through them to clean (it's how I clean mine). If you're really concerned, make sure you have a 'spare' keg that you can push the solution into the keg you're cleaning. Basically, run it through both directions to make sure you get everything out. Personally, I just push PBW solution through under about 15psi when cleaning them. Some of my kegs can have the poppets removed, while others (brand new ones) cannot. The only time I've had anything get clogged in a poppet was when I was transferring from fermenter after dry hopping (loose, whole hops). Since I now dry hop in keg, in a bag (still with whole hops), it's no longer an issue.

So, basically, yes, you're over-reacting on this. :D :drunk:

Thanks for the responses guys. So basically what you're telling me is that the posts still are removable, but the poppets cannot be removed from them?

That should be fine. I was reading it as the posts were irreplaceable.

Back