The Dysfunctional-Palooza Obnoxious Masshole BS Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^.... this

Very very weeks go by that we don't have someone asking us all about where we got this or that piece of equip.. or how we handle this or that process... and probably 75% of the time it is someone with very little brewing experience. They have usually done "a couple extract batches" and "my family has some money to put into it". We had one guy who had done one batch at a BYO place and was then telling us about how he was going to hurry up, trademark a name, and start looking for space.

The running joke we have on the topic is basically an impersonation... "Yeah so... I put gas in my car the other day so I'm thinkin' I'm gonna open an auto repair business. Where do you guys buy your oil filters??"

I used to get super pissed and insulted but now I just try to answer the questions as politely as possible and wish them well.

It is amazing how many breweries are also starting out huge right out of the gates. They somehow get millions of dollars in their hands and just have at it, never having brewed anything at all on a commercial scale. If it works for them, awesome... but I couldn't fathom going that route personally. Given how competitive it is, it better be really solid beer from the first batch or you're going out of business REALLY quickly with a shti-ton of debt hanging over your head.

THAT is where I see any "bubble"... I don't see a demand bubble at all but I think a lot of these "just toss up a building and have at it!" Breweries are going to start falling by the wayside.

Not everyone has the benefit of F Dub and his amazing beer.

Amen to all the above comments, but then again, we're all in the choir anyway. And I still think I'll keep all my beer ingredients from plants.

That's about as close as I'll get to being a vegan anyway.

Oh, and yay!!!! today at Fenway, the first 500,000 paying customers get a solid plastic gold 500 necklace to wear in honor of it being the first Tuesday that Poppi is playing in Boston this year.

I think tomorrow everyone gets a gold Poppi camel, for his first humpday appearance.

100_ortiznecklace.png

Portsmouth is a good beer town. So, the other offerings have got to appease the beer snobs and be good. I'm going to visit that place soon just to try something different. I just want to ask if their tap is vegan.... I wanna hit Tributary too.

Interesting article - if only because it reveals the somewhat amazingly liberal MA laws on brewery-to-consumer sales (well, for those of us old enough to remember the plethora of "Blue Laws", anyway).

http://www.boston.com/news/beer/201...nge-beer-laws-receives-anonymous-angry-letter

Cheers!

I think you're going to see a lot more of this sort of stuff coming down the pike as the landscape continues to shift pretty dramatically.

All of the three-tier laws were put in place when there were a tiny number of breweries and a large number of distributors. That relationship is now reversing and the last thing distributors and retailers want to give up (understandably so) is the legal protections they've built up over the decades.

As things change, you're going to see more and more of these types of reactions.

Still partial towards pork but I won't disagree with you. Helluva day for it.

Brewed 400 gallons of Oud Bruin yesterday... started at 5:00am and finished at 6:30ish.... still cross-eyed and exhausted

attachment.php

Not sure what I'm looking at here, but if those were edible, they sure look tasty.

Cheers! (Soap? Aww...)

Yes, soap! Some of the coolest homebrewers make soap.

They look tasty, but I wouldn't eat them.

One time, I had a fresh batch of oatmeal honey soap on racks in my dining room and I had a carpet cleaner come in. He exclaimed, "Cookies!" and headed over there. I felt bad telling him it was soap. But he was glad that he didn't steal one and eat it!

Yes, soap! Some of the coolest homebrewers make soap.

They look tasty, but I wouldn't eat them.

One time, I had a fresh batch of oatmeal honey soap on racks in my dining room and I had a carpet cleaner come in. He exclaimed, "Cookies!" and headed over there. I felt bad telling him it was soap. But he was glad that he didn't steal one and eat it!

Ha ha someone thought you made cookies!

Our provincial capital shot in 4k from a chopper.
Worth the two minutes, especially if you select 1080p and blow that sucker up (and crank up the volume).

I've been to 48 state capitals and Boston is one of the most compact.
This video really points that out...

Cheers!

Back