bought 2-row...got pilsen...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMan

Reaction score
So I'm a dummy...drove all the way to Mid Country Malt Supply to pick up a sack of Maris Otter and 2-row. Got there, was too excited to have my first bulk grain purchase and didn't even look at the bags. Got home and unloaded, I have a bag of Maris Otter and Premium Pilsen.

Will it be a huge difference? The Pilsen vs. 2 row? I was planning an American Wheat today...this throws it off. I feel like it won't make a HUGE difference, but what do you guys say?

P.S. I brew IPA's, Stouts, and Hoppy Pale ales for the most part....

I'd sub it straight across for 2-row. You might notice a slight difference...but overall you're still going to make excellent beer and be able to hit your target style/flavor.

So for the most part I'll be ok as long as I do the longer boil? I have no desire to drive all the way back to Mid Country lol...I don't even know if they will do anything if I called.

"Although mainly intended for all malt beers, there is sufficient diastatic power to convert a limited amount of adjunct. Care will have to be taken that too much adjunct is not used or flavour could be impaired. Also, excessive dilution of soluble nitrogen could result in yeast nutrition problems, causing poor fermentation or flavour defects due to diacetyl for example."

http://www.bairds-malt.co.uk/Brewing.html

Adjuncts aren't really ever a large part of my batches...sounds like I should be fine.

I decided this will give me a chance to try all those excellent pilsner smash brews I've always read about. I'll use the pils for my american wheat as a pure swap, just because I have no biscuit or victory. I'm sure it will turn out ok. Maybe even good!

All malts (pilsener to black patent) are 2-row except for "6-row", which is kilned as a pale malt.

When one refers to just "2-row", what they are really saying is "2-row pale malt", usually the American variety. This is a lightly kilned malt around 3L. It is kilned a little more than Pilsener, which is very light (~1.5L). Pilsner has a sweet grainy taste.

I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe a bit more flavor hop.

When I buy Great Western 2 row 2.2L it's a lighter malt than GW Pale 3L.

that's funny, I just heard someone talking about the same. Great Western apparently make something between a pilsner malt and a pale. So, the malt spectrum incrementally approaches a smooth line as the differenced between malts decreases.

Weird, I picture the definition of an integral in calculus.

All malts (pilsener to black patent) are 2-row except for "6-row", which is kilned as a pale malt.

When one refers to just "2-row", what they are really saying is "2-row pale malt", usually the American variety. This is a lightly kilned malt around 3L. It is kilned a little more than Pilsener, which is very light (~1.5L). Pilsner has a sweet grainy taste.

I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe a bit more flavor hop.

I know this, but there is a difference between "2 row" pale malt and "two row" pilsner. As said before, the boil. If I hadn't noticed and only boiled for 60 minutes I might have off flavors. Just wanted to make sure new brewers reading this don't misconstrue anything.

Same things happened to us on our last group buy. We got a lot of Superior Pils. I think they switched the number and the old number for the Canadian 2-row is the new number for the Pils....not a good thing to do IMO.

Anyway, not a terrible time of year to have a bag of that though. I am brewing some light lager-like beers and a cream ale. You might notice that there is a lot more protein...crazy amount of hot break. But it seems to be a very nice very, very pale malt. But, I agree, you will want the 90 minute boil and chill as quick as possible.

Same things happened to us on our last group buy. We got a lot of Superior Pils. I think they switched the number and the old number for the Canadian 2-row is the new number for the Pils....not a good thing to do IMO.

Anyway, not a terrible time of year to have a bag of that though. I am brewing some light lager-like beers and a cream ale. You might notice that there is a lot more protein...crazy amount of hot break. But it seems to be a very nice very, very pale malt. But, I agree, you will want the 90 minute boil and chill as quick as possible.

Wow, you sound exactly correct. After flipping the bag over I found they hand wrote "2-Row" on the back. It was even canadian malt. I think this is poor practice. It had crazy hot break as you said, it's like the hot break would not go away. I just added a gallon mid boil and went 90 minutes to accomodate. I got the "tortilla soup" look as Revvy pointed out.

Back