Heating element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade E

Beer Buster
Reaction score
I have been searching but cant seem to locate what I am looking for unless there is no such thing. Is there a heating element that could be used to mount in a cooler for an HLT that is pretty much all set up with dial knob or something. I would have really liked to do kegs but am having no look locating any. I really want to start doing ag but I did it once with the what I have and that wasnt fun!!!!!!!!!

Good lord those are expensive huh! Thanks, I plan on using a 32 quart cooler, I was thinking 1500w, is that too much juice, not enough?

Spend the $8 on a normal water heater element and wire it into a Johnson controller. Austin Homebrew has the digital Johnson controller for $80.

I like that better, it says operating temp and sensor temp. Which one of these is the 1 i can set the unit to. It says 220* for sensor temp and 140* for operating temp. If its 140* that doesnt really do me any good. Cause Id be looking for about 165* for a dough in and 170* for a mash out right? Sorry, for the questions but I need to get this stuff straight and get going on doing this stuff right. Thanks in advance for helping me with this.

I have the Ranco controller on my fermentation fridge, and I think I remember it being rated up to 220*. They're about the same cost as the Johnson.

Can anyone confirm this? 1 more question for anyone who has done thsi using that heater element. Did you use a pvc fitting into your cooler and if so does it get hot from the element being so close?

thanks for that. So the Ranco or Johnson control will bring temps up that high? I just need to confirm that so that I can place some orders soon. OK, never mind, I found my answer on the Ranco home page. thanks guys. I have a bad back and doing this I can just pump water up there and let gravity do its thing!

Sorry. Haven't been back for a few hours. Out at a happy hour. :)

But the operating temperature, if I am not mistaken, means the ambient temperature, meaning it will operate in a room up to 140 degrees. The sensor temperature is what you want to focus on.

Make sure the controller you purchase can handle the amperage of the element you buy. I believe The Pol used a Johnson Digital controller because the internal relay could handle a higher amperage. Otherwise you may need to use a SSR between the controller and the element.

I bought a 120v 2000w screw in element today from HomeChepo and there is no amp rating on the package or the website but see that someone else on this forum sated it is about 17 amps. Looking at these temp units Im pretty sure they say only 16 amps. Is there a controller that will handle this 2000w unit or should I bring it back. I didnt want to get into a huge wiring mess with to much crap.

How the heck do you know what amps they are, they dont say on the package or on the website. I dont really want to get into relays.

Thanks, I never knew that. So most or all 120's will require a relay to use with a Ranco or Johnson Control then huh? Back to the HomeChepo then and bring this back. :(

I will most likely bring mine back and get the 1500 instead now that I know the 2000 is too much for a controller. Dang it.

Just wanted to thank everyone here for the answers to my questions. I have exchanged the 2000w for the 1500w and will be placing the order for the Johnson control unit and a weldless cooler kit bulkhead and ball valve for it on Friday with Austin Homebrew! Was going to get a thermo also but they are out of stock.

I am currently building a HLT with a half-barrel keg. I am going to use a 4500W element at 240V it will draw about 19A. Although the 1500W elements are nice for just plugging in to a standard outlet, the heating time can get quite long. For Wade E's 32 qt cooler an increase of 100 degrees should take about an hour and 20 minutes. For my design 15 gallons will take about 50 minutes.

I would not shy away from using a relay or definate purpose contactor (especially if heating time is a concern) to run a larger element. They can be found for quite cheap and are not diffucult to wire.

I've used a Jonson controller to run a contactor to a 1500watt 120vac heating element on my small HERMS heat exchanger for the past few years, and it has worked well. If you can I'd look for a 20amp contactor to put in between the controller and the heating element.

The one draw back I found with the Jonson controller was it is analog, with a +or- of 4ºF. so I ended up using a thermometer to calibrate the temps I wanted, and made my own marks on the dial.

Im not to worried about the temps on mine as I have hot and cold water where Ill be brewing near my Washer so it wont need to take up the temp much. When I get around o do the brew pot Ill go big though! I do appreciate all the help though guys.

Just saw this and posted in that thread! If worst comes to worst ill use cold water but i have domestic hot water so maybe thats different or I can hook up a whole house filter before the HLT.

Back