Extract Hefe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim27

Reaction score
Hello all, I want to brew a "quick" batch of beer sometime in the near future. I have heard that hefeweizen is such a beer that can be consumed within 2 weeks and be "ready". My favorite Hefe is from Schneider Weiss, I think it is the best wheat beer I have ever had. My question is if anyone can turn me to a extract recipe that is similar in flavor to Schneider Weiss. Any help would be appreciatted.

Thanks, Tim

Thanks, being new to brewing I really didn't quite understand what those guys were talking about as far as recipes. I will continue to research and gain a better understanding of brew terminology.

Thanks again, Tim

Hello all, I want to brew a "quick" batch of beer sometime in the near future. I have heard that hefeweizen is such a beer that can be consumed within 2 weeks and be "ready". My favorite Hefe is from Schneider Weiss, I think it is the best wheat beer I have ever had. My question is if anyone can turn me to a extract recipe that is similar in flavor to Schneider Weiss. Any help would be appreciatted.

Thanks, Tim

Bavarian Hefeweizen from a Northern Brewer kit was my first brew. I just put some in the fridge that have been in bottles since early May. I am not a big drinker, just one a day is about right for me, except lawn mowing days when I might have two, so I wasn't in a big hurry. I just wanted to caution you that hefeweizen can run away with your temps if your not real careful, as they ferment so vigorously and soon. Make sure it starts cool and change out your ice if in a bucket or tub regularly. Once it gets away from you it can be a bear to get back down. Luckily, hefeweizens aren't fragile creatures and many of the flavors you get with high temps are going to be there anyway. I tasted mine at bottling and it was quite refreshing even being flat, so I got lucky. Hopefully it's even better with some age and carbonation.

Good luck:rockin:

PS: Be sure and use good blow off control for this one. I had a Gallon and 3/4 head space in my carboy and still got quite a bit.

If you have the time, culture the yeast from a SW bottle (Actually, I used 2 bottles). They actually use a blend of Hefe yeasts. B. United International Inc. - Schneider Weisse | Hefe Weizen
Yeast is probably your most important ingredient in trying to get their flavor. Check out the yeast culturing threads, maybe the DIY stirplate thread too if you feel like building something. I used two bottles of SW for culturing and it worked great.

-OCD

Well being as SW is hard to get for me right now I think I will just have to get as close as possible to that style of Hefe. What I don't want is a Widmer Bro's type hefe. It Doesn't really float my boat, but that Sneider Weiss blew me away the first time I had it.
Now would Wyeast 3068 be close to the type of flavor I would want? Also I am hearing that fermentation temps are supposed to kept on the low side? The best I can do now is about 70-71 degrees. I just don't have the money to buy other stuff right now. It sounds like I really need to search for some SW, I will see if I can.

Thanks for the replies, Tim

Well being as SW is hard to get for me right now I think I will just have to get as close as possible to that style of Hefe. What I don't want is a Widmer Bro's type hefe. It Doesn't really float my boat, but that Sneider Weiss blew me away the first time I had it.
Now would Wyeast 3068 be close to the type of flavor I would want? Also I am hearing that fermentation temps are supposed to kept on the low side? The best I can do now is about 70-71 degrees. I just don't have the money to buy other stuff right now. It sounds like I really need to search for some SW, I will see if I can.

Those temps were what I was shooting for with mine, but start cooler and it should rise to those temps. If you start with it at 70 it won't stay there.

I just used the same yeast for my lates hefe that turned out great. Pretty darn close to Paulener. Fermenting at 70-71 would be fine, may get more bananna flavor / esters, but suitable for style. I wouldn't want to ferment any higher.

If you want my extract recipe....Just PM me and I'll send it to you. It turned out fantastic, best taste was 3 weeks after pitching.

My best weissbiers were fermented at 68 or lower. You can make a great Hefeweizen with five pounds Briess wheat DME and an oz. of Hallertauer, Mt. Hood, Liberty or Vanguard at 60. I like Sterling for it's extra spiciness. The hop is not that important because it has little part in the flavor. The yeast steals the show. 3068 is great. Schneider Weiss looks like about that with a oz of carafa III.

Son of Heinrich Hefeweizen was an extract brew.
6 lbs. of DME, 1 oz of Mt. Hood and .25 oz of Saaz.
White Labs 300 yeast.

This was brewed alongside an AG Hefeweizen with 1 oz of Mt. Hood and .25 of Saaz. Same yeast as well.

Both excellent beers.

I went out today a bought two 500ml bottles of Schneider Weiss. I defiantly think 3068/WLP300 can make this beer at 65F or so. The banana is there but somewhat restrained.

It is close to this:

4 lb 8 oz Dry Wheat Extract
1 lb German Vienna
1 oz Carafa III

Steep at 150-160 for 45-60 minutes.

1 oz Hallertauer (4-5% AA) at 60 minutes.

Keep it in primary until the kraeusen falls then bottle or keg to 3-3.5 volumes. When it's carbonated it's ready.

I'm going to try to propagate some yeast from the bottles. I've read that that it is hit or miss with this beer.

I went out today a bought two 500ml bottles of Schneider Weiss. .

I'm going to try to propagate some yeast from the bottles. I've read that that it is hit or miss with this beer.

Just a word of encouragement; I used two bottles worth of sediment, some DME and some yeast nutrient, on a DIY stirplate (optional) and BAM nice starter. Used it first on an AG Wheat which tastes a lot like Weihenstephaner, now the second generation is going at it on an extract wheat.

Good Luck! :mug:

-OCD

Back