Honey Faux-Bock (Ale) County Fair Best of Show

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArkotRamathorn

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
1007 German Ale Yeast
Yeast Starter
1L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 Days 65F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 Days 55F
Tasting Notes
Malty + Honey + barest tinge of hop flavor/aroma
4#Munich 10
4#Munich 6
1#Pilsner
23oz Honey (SWMBO picked up the honey for me so it was a raw honey added at flameout, 23oz just happened to be the package size and I'm too lazy to measure honey)
4oz Honey Malt
4oz Carapils
4oz Acidulated Malt (I adjusted pH with this, if you use acid to adjust mash pH just add 4 extra oz of pilsner or munich malt)

13IBU from Tettnanger at 90 minutes - I added just before the boil started so its somewhat of a FWH
5IBU from Hallertau at 10 minutes

I have fairly low chloride and sulfate (19 chloride and 8.5 sulfate) in my city water so I brought up both with 3 grams each of calcium chloride and magnesium sulfate. Follow your own general guidelines for your water on a malty german style ale.

First rest was 146F and pulled first and only decoction after 15 minutes. 15 minute decoction boil. Added decoction back and brought the mash temp up to 150F then an additional 45 minute rest after this. Mashed out at 170F and sparged. I think the decoction made a big difference on this, though I imagine you could get away with melanoidin, I cannot comment on amounts you need to match this.

I pitched slightly warm at 67F and it dropped while fermenting down to 58F over the course of 48 hours, it quickly started dropping to my basements ambient temp and stuck at 55F for 2 weeks after that. Bottled at 1.8 volumes though it could use slightly more carbonation.

Entered this into a county fair beer competition under helles-bock since my numbers were fairly close. My beer was chosen as the grand champion/best of show and part of the grand prize was having your recipe brewed as a pilot batch (15 gallon) at the local brewery thats less than a year old, as of this posting I will be brewing it next week Monday and itll be served a couple weeks after that. (if you are from Wisconsin, look up The Brewing Projekt, come drink it when its on tap, or just come drink their delicious beer anyway)

Even though I pitched warm, it was enough to trick a room full of people into thinking it was a lager. This started as an attempt to clone New Glarus' Cabin Fever Honey bock which I failed at, but I managed to make a delicious beer with lager like qualities. The color I have listed is an approximation, without the decoction its calculated at 9 SRM, but when I look at the beer in a glass it looks more like a 10.5-11 SRM beer.

Back