Should I repitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonnio

Reaction score
So about 4.5 weeks ago I made a Chimay Grand Reserve PM and kind of messed up, but didn't realize it until last night. I checked the SG and it finished out at about 1.03 which seemed really high, but I went ahead and kegged it anyway figuring I could secondary in there if needed. Once I finished kegging I realized that I must have underfilled the primary (I primaried in my unmarked glass carboy for the first time) by a fair amount because I was about 1/2 gallon shy in my keg.

I put the recipe from the kit into BTP to guess my SG (yeah, basically I half assed this brew because I was in a hurry and now am paying for it) and I am guessing that based on my typical efficiency and the estimated reduced volume I was at about 1.101 SG. That puts me at about 9.5% abv and 70% apparent attenuation.

The sample tasted fine, so I am afraid of messing with it, but I don't want it to be so sweet that it isn't drinkable.

What would you guys do (except for going back to brew day and not being an idiot)?

Well you could try Bean-o. I will break down the sugars more thus making them fermentable. If your OG was that high though I would say that it's not too unexpected for it to crap out around 70%. I say leave though and learn from this for next time.

:tank:

That's what I was thinking. I will chalk this up as an expensive learning experience, either way its going to be beer...It really isn't too far from the style even with a 1.03 fg either, so no big deal.

I will try and remember to report back here in a few weeks after it has conditioned to see how good it turned out.

Back