Help Identifying taste (HOPS)????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandt9299

Reaction score
Ok guys no one can seem to answer this question so here goes. I have brewed 2 batches so far the first was a hopped extract only, the second had some specialty grains and fresh hops. There is a taste and smell of certain beers that I dislike and I'm trying to identify that taste so I don't brew a batch like it. I now figured out after using whole hops (and not liking the smell) that its obviously the hops. I used Cascade. The hops have a strong smell to them and some beers have a taste like the hops smell, which i dont like. while trying to identify the taste I thought that I wouldn't like beer with high IBU's. Which I proved wrong, I tried a 60 IBU beer and although it was bitter it didn't have that hop taste. So finally the big question, is it a certain hop do you think (I only have smelled cascade) or is it the addition of "flavor" hops late in the boil that causes that strong hop taste. Last thing is how would I adjust my recipe if it is the "flavor" hops like I think. I hope you guys can understand what I'm trying to say, because most people look at me funny when I try to describe that taste. I WAS a Sam Adams light drinker but Disliked regular Sam Adams because of the "taste in question" maybe this will help. Thanks Guys in advance

I won't be much help here for two reasons--I've found I really like Cascade hops in my recent trials with trying different brands that I know use Cascades. Second, I don't have a real good nose for detecting certain aromas. That said--and without sounding degrading to you which isn't my intention at all, is you may want to keep experimenting with what you do and don't like as far as beers. I know that Sam Adams beers doesn't use Cascade hops (the Boston Lager, and Light for sure) so I'm thinking it might be the actual bittering or dry-hopping aroma that you don't necessarily like. I for one hated Sam Light from the first time I tried it, and I think all the rest of SA's beers are top notch.

Here's what I'd recommend. Get some buddies to come over, and have each of them bring a different six pack of something good--styles you know you enjoy, but aren't sure what separates each one.

Do a little research beforehand regarding what is used for hops--for example, it is well known Anchor beers use Cascade and Northern Brewer. Sierra Nevada uses primarily Cascade. SA lager beers used primarily Hallertau and Tettnanger, in the ales they use primarily fuggles and other british styles.

Knowing the subtle style differences will take you a long way in knowing what to brew in the future and help you design your own great recipes.

I'm sure this didn't help much--but I've learned it takes research and then experimentation. Hard research is such a drag, buying all these beers and then drinking them to see what flavors you think you've got? Man, hard life we have as homebrewers....LOL

orrelse said:
Do a little research beforehand regarding what is used for hops--for example, it is well known Anchor beers use Cascade and Northern Brewer. Sierra Nevada uses primarily Cascade. SA lager beers used primarily Hallertau and Tettnanger, in the ales they use primarily fuggles and other british styles.

To go along with what he said... Cascade hops are "strong" hops. Try something with less AAU's, and maybe use them in smaller quantities. I think Hallertau would be a good one to try...

I agree with Orrelse, you need to research this! :p Having you buddy's bring beers is good, then they can drink everything you determine you don't like.
I think your on theright track, it sounds like you don't like late additions of hops in beer. Flavors that the hops give may not be your bag, then again , you may not have found the ones you like or haven't developed a taste for them yet. Some folks can't stand Guinness the first few times they drink it, but after awhile, they start to love it.

Back