OR/WA Brew Day v2.0??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first thought was doing a higher octane stout of some sort.

That could be very interesting. I think a sharp roastiness would contrast with the sourness and complexity of the Roselare. But a big chocolatey stout, maybe using Carafa Special or something that limits the roastiness but still gives the color and chocolate character would work. What do you guys think?

A high gravity RIS would rock. However, I didn't add much to the last project other than 5G of beer.

BTW, any chance of me scoring a few bottles of the current batch? :)

Explosivebeer: I haven't talked to you much lately. Still owe something for the cherries that went it. Let me know how much my share would have been and I'll compensate you.

McK....
Explosive has a 3 gallon keg filled for you. And I have PLENTY of extra if you desire more. I've got 5 gallons bottle conditioning, and the remaining 15 just sitting in kegs till I figure out what to do with them ;)

A high gravity RIS would rock. However, I didn't add much to the last project other than 5G of beer.

BTW, any chance of me scoring a few bottles of the current batch? :)

Explosivebeer: I haven't talked to you much lately. Still owe something for the cherries that went it. Let me know how much my share would have been and I'll compensate you.

Hey McKBrew,

I have no idea about those cherries. Let's call it even since you gave me a couple bottles of that great stout you made.

I do have three gallons of the beer we pulled out for you. Just let me know when you want to get it. It's in a small keg in my basement so whenever is convenient for you.

See...this is my hesitation on doing another batch. Not much commitment on doing it. I had only planned on doing 10 of the last one but had to bump that up to 20 because we fell short, some folks dropped out, etc. I know have a ton of this stuff and NO idea what to do with it all. I can't drink it all and no one else in the else is a sour fan. I would love to do a new batch but we need more folks to jump in. Maybe I should start a new thread?

See...this is my hesitation on doing another batch. Not much commitment on doing it. I had only planned on doing 10 of the last one but had to bump that up to 20 because we fell short, some folks dropped out, etc. I know have a ton of this stuff and NO idea what to do with it all. I can't drink it all and no one else in the else is a sour fan. I would love to do a new batch but we need more folks to jump in. Maybe I should start a new thread?

Yeah I hear you. It's a little like herding cats. If you do want to pull it together, let me know. Or if you just want to pass the barrel along to someone who will use it, I definitely understand. If that's the route you want to go I can check with some guys up here to see if I can rally enough interest to fill it here rather than down there.

As for the previous batch, I've been sampling as it carbonates. It's very interesting but not quite as sour as I'd like. There's a lot of barnyard and complexity but it doesn't have that hard sour edge that I enjoy. Regardless, it's a very interesting beer and I think it will continue to get better.

As for the previous batch, I've been sampling as it carbonates. It's very interesting but not quite as sour as I'd like. There's a lot of barnyard and complexity but it doesn't have that hard sour edge that I enjoy. Regardless, it's a very interesting beer and I think it will continue to get better.

I wonder if this is because we fermented them out too low before adding them to the barrel. If I recall both my batches were right around 1.010 before dumping them in. You mentioned previously about stopping them at 1.020 so the bugs have some sugar to feed on...I believe the final gravity on Saturday was 1.008.

I wonder if this is because we fermented them out too low before adding them to the barrel. If I recall both my batches were right around 1.010 before dumping them in. You mentioned previously about stopping them at 1.020 so the bugs have some sugar to feed on...I believe the final gravity on Saturday was 1.008.

Yeah that could be. I don't have any experience using Roselare previously but it seems to make sense. I think mine was around 1.015 or so after a quick fermentation. If it finished at 1.008 and our average FG pre-barrel was in the low teens, those guys didn't have much to work with. Lesson learned. Really though, the only thing I'm missing is the sharp lactic bite. I tried blending this with some Belgian Golden Strong (a different one than you guys tried) and it was very tasty.

Yeah start a new thread. This 29 pager is a bit intimidating. I just subscribed a couple days ago but I have only read the last couple pages. Anyway, I am in for 5 or 10 gallons of whatever (as needed), and I am reliable.

So I just took a look at my bottles and the 3 gallon carboy we filled...almost wish I hadn't. Funk all on top of the beer in the bottles and the airlock on the 3 gallon is growing...YUMMY ;) Better make sure not to let any of this stuff get back in to the gen-pop of brew gear!

Though I am listed as the "brewer" I included everyone's name or handle on the entry form. This was a group effort. Well done all.

Black, you coming to pick up your portion anytime soon!?! :)

That's great KB. You definitely deserve the credit for putting this together. I'd love to see the scoresheet if you can scan it.

Though I am listed as the "brewer" I included everyone's name or handle on the entry form. This was a group effort. Well done all.

Black, you coming to pick up your portion anytime soon!?! :)

It's on the list...I promise! I need to buy a keg to swap you.

Finally cracked one of the oud bruins KB gave me and I have to say its pretty tasty. The sour could be bumped up but it is very drinkable like it is I could see drinking a few of these in a night. SWMBO just rolled up, we'll see what she says.

Latest posts

Back