Mead: What does it taste like/goes well with..?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, that really can't be answered easily. I mean, what does beer taste like? What does wine taste like? That's the same type of question you're asking, in a way!

I guess the best description I can give you is that it is wine-like. Depending on the ingredients you use, it can be fruity, dry, sweet, etc.

The JOAM is orange-y and sweet and warm tasting. Well, go taste some, and you'll see what I mean. Some meads are dry and mellow, with hints of whatever type of honey is used. Some are fruity and some are not. It really depends on the ingredients, especially the type of honey. Now, melomels (fruit/honey wine) tend to taste more like a fruit wine. Just like wines, though, you have so many variations that it really can't be described well. Think of the difference between a shiraz and chardonnay for example- both wines, but nothing alike about them at all. I think mead is the same way. Some meads are made as "show mead". That is honey, yeast, water. The honey in that case is what provides the flavor and the aroma notes. If you use wildflower honey, it'd be a totally different mead than using, say, buckwheat honey. That's one of the beauties of mead!

Still, for lack of a better description, I'd say you'll taste a honey wine.

I serve COLD wine size glass. Most are around 12% or more...so less is more. I can see that mead would pair well with a LOT of things, but it is SO intriguing of a flavor, I just concentrate on the mead. It will keep my attention for a good long time.

Latest posts

Back