Does anyone really like IPA's?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although I can appreciate it's availability, SNPA is a pretty sub-par APA. Drink one side-by-side against Two-Hearted or any other quality APA, and you'll realize how bland it really is.

I agree whole heartedly. Most of what SN makes is extremely boring and one dimensional.

You're quite probably deriving your disdain for SNPA because the beer isn't as fresh once it makes it's way to your side of the country. Hop flavor and aroma fade rather quickly sadly, I can tell the difference between a fresh six pack and one that's been refrigerated and on the shelf just a few hours away from Chico.

Dude this is exactly what I'm talking about. I bought a Hazed and Infused bomber once that turned out to be so old that 100% of its hop flavor had faded, leaving a beer that quite honestly tasted like cardboard.

I've noticed the same taste in some but not all SNPAs I've had since. In the case of the Hazed, it had been sitting on the shelf at a small specialty beer store for too long, but SN shouldn't sit on the shelf long at a supermarket.

One thing that I've noticed about both beers is, that without hop flavor, they have a terrible malt profile. That's why commercial beers will never equal homebrews.

Although I can appreciate it's availability, SNPA is a pretty sub-par APA. Drink one side-by-side against Two-Hearted or any other quality APA, and you'll realize how bland it really is.
I really like Two Hearted, but it is an IPA by any measure. Not a fair comparison for SNPA. Make sure you compare apples to apples.

As far as bang for your buck, I think SNPA is one of the best nationally distributed APAs out there. I don't get the hate.

I really like Two Hearted, but it is an IPA by any measure. Not a fair comparison for SNPA. Make sure you compare apples to apples.

As far as bang for your buck, I think SNPA is one of the best nationally distributed APAs out there. I don't get the hate.

The line does seem pretty blurred these days. For example, DFH 60 minute. It's a bit smaller than Flying Dog pale ale (which I love) and is prob the same IBUs. I'm convinced there is better bang for your buck than SNPA if you don't live in the sticks. I can buy all three of the aforementioned beers at supermarkets wherever I go, for the same price.

I don't mean to hate too much on Sierra, because I like what they're doing for beer and I especially like how they haven't joined the bunch of lame breweries fighting Prop 19 in California. I have nothing against Sierra, this is just based on empirical evidence. Torpedo is pretty good, though.

I like IPAs enough, but seem to like them less since I have been brewing. I guess now that I pay closer attention to beer styles and tasting notes that I appreciate hop bitterness, but I don't necessarily want to be smacked in the face with it. I think that an Am Pale Ale is my favorite hoppy style (but not my fav style overall). The APA has enough hop bitterness and aroma, but not so much that you struggle to taste the malt or fruity tones that are brought to the party from the yeast.

In fact, just hit the LHBS today and plan to brew up Yooper's APA tomorrow! https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/da-yoopers-house-pale-ale-100304/

I don't mean to hate too much on Sierra, because I like what they're doing for beer and I especially like how they haven't joined the bunch of lame breweries fighting Prop 19 in California. I have nothing against Sierra, this is just based on empirical evidence. Torpedo is pretty good, though.

I don't think it's breweries that are fighting Prop 19, it's the distributors lobby. Totally different animal. And because of the three tier system breweries get lumped into the fray because they are forced to use the distributors...

Sorry for the threadjack. :drunk:

Personally I love a Manny's. It's a great hoppy pale ale. Not very high bitterness, but all the lovely aroma and flavor of a nice hop. Don't like DFH 90 at all due to the extreme biterness.

Just as a point of clarification, I believe that Sierra Nevada is an American Pale Ale, not an India Pale Ale. If you look at the style guidelines, an IPA could be considered just a bigger, hoppier APA. So SNPA is definitely a good entry point for those BMC'ers. It is just about the most perfect, balanced, delicous beer that is widely available, to my tummy.

Oh I know. The post right before mine that brought up SNPA s\even stated that it isn't really an IPA. Just making a point that to a beer drinking of the lightest sorts, how intense SNPA could be. It is a perfect entry into hoppy flavor.
I don't get the hate on it either. I live in CT for crying out loud. I think it is one of the best widely available beers around. I've never had really dull or worn out hop taste. The malt profile is lacking, but I don't expect it to compare with homebrew. :D
I will be cloning Celebration Ale sometime soon, as well. Yum.

I really want to try the two-hearted, as well as pliny the elder. There are a lot of less-widely available IPAs that hold a high standard, and I would love to try them. Someday.... mutter....ramble... holy grail...mutter

"Does anyone really like IPA's?"

Yep.

I've got a friend who doesn't eat cilantro, says it tastes like soap to her.

"Ain't no 'countin for taste."

- Anon.

The line does seem pretty blurred these days. For example, DFH 60 minute. It's a bit smaller than Flying Dog pale ale (which I love) and is prob the same IBUs. I'm convinced there is better bang for your buck than SNPA if you don't live in the sticks. I can buy all three of the aforementioned beers at supermarkets wherever I go, for the same price.

I don't know what you mean by pale ale - you need to be more specific. Are you talking about Flying Dog Doggie Style or the Snake Dog? I'm assuming you mean the Snake Dog. Both that and DFH 60 minute clock in at 60 IBUs, which is way out of APA territory in my book. Likewise with Alpha King - not an APA, despite what 3 Floyds markets it as.

I guess my point is, regardless if you agree with where I have chosen to define the cut-off for APAs, you need to compare apples to apples. Thus, a comparison between a beer with 60 IBUs and a 1.065 OG and one with 35 IBUs and a 1.050 OG is not really a fair comparison.

I used to love Pale Ales and IPAs about a decade ago before the hops arms race. Now I can't trust them. I like hops but I don't like to rub them in my eyeballs while I'm drinking a beer. I've been burned too many times by over-the-top unbalanced IPAs to try new ones anymore. I have my 3 or 4 that I like and that's about all the IPA I'll drink unless I make it myself. And don't get me started on Pale Ales. It really disgusts me that there are so many IPAs masquerading as Pale Ales these days. I'm a little gunshy on trying new ones of those anymore either and that used to be the first thing I'd try from a brewery.

I really, really adore a good IPA or IIPA, and I'm lucky that there are some fine commercial examples in the midwest.

That being said, I consider myself a well rounded beer enthusiast. I love Belgium beers, I love hefes and saisons, and I'm a huge fan of malty English ales. I used to not be a real lager fan, but bocks are growing on me.

I like beer!

I love beers but tend to go BIG.

My favs are: over the top IPA's, imperial stouts, Schlafly Kolsch.........(I know, I know, but that Kolsch is FREAKISHLY good)

Hey, it's a big tent. Personally, I struggle to enjoy a Stout of Porter and even my taste for Lager has waned as I've come to appreciate Pale Ales in all their forms. But I know enough people who have exactly the opposite tastes as I do. It's not like joining a team - "Te gustibus non disputandum" or something like that.

If it's beer, i love it.! But, I hope you all know that you are "preachin' to the choir" here. The vast majority of American beer lovers prefer BMC. We as beer drinkers, are in a miniscule tiny minority. It doesn't matter that you may think of yourselves as "beer snobs" or not, facts are facts and cannot be ignored. It takes time and a lot of beer to "educate" the tastes of a lot of people. The fact is, IPA is a slowly aquired taste. I love 'em but most don't....

I love IPAs. I didn't like them at first, but they grew on me and now they are one of my favorite styles. I tend to go through phases on what style is my favorite.

Wow, what is up with you guys? One doesn't like scottish ales, and another doesn't like IPAs? ;)

IPA is one of my favorite styles. I am absolutely fascinated by hops.

The story alone on how IPA came about makes me appreciate it even more.

I agree. I love any beer that has a story and can appreciate how it came to be.

Personally I love the flavor of IPA's and went to buy a sixer of Torpedo even though I had 3 full kegs ready to drink! I love hops. But I can also appreciate a beer with almost no hops. But I really can see why you or anyone else doesn't like hops. I understand. It is unbalanced and overwhelming. But I drink a very maltly beer and I just dont get it. I think thats what attracted me to craft beers in the first place, was very hoppy beers. I just loved them. And still do.

my 2 favorite beers are torpedo extra ipa and ranger ipa. got a glass of sierra pale ale clone sitting in front of me right now :mug:

And there are the bitterness balanced extremely hoppy flavored and fragrant IPA's...I find exquisite.

I agree with this completely. I am not shy when it comes to bitterness alone, per se. However, an artful balance of flavor, aroma, bitterness when it comes to the use of hops is divine, and quite specifically why IPA is my absolute favorite style. Full stop!

I love a good hop bomb for sure. At the brew fest I went to recently I specifically sought out all the IPA's. Some were good, some not so much, some were amazing. Exactly like any other style.

Back