Belgian tripel in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah makes sense... i havent been brewing long enough (about 2 years) to have experienc with long term aging.

So if I don't pitch extra bottling yeast it would be a candidate for long term aging?

If you would really like to get into brewing Belgians on a regular basis, perhaps reading "Brew Like A Monk", "Belgian Ale", and a few other books specializing on Belgian beers would be beneficial... That... and or reading the thousands of pages on Belgian beer on the Internet. Going to brew 7 gal of a Tripel in about an hour myself... Have fun...

Word. I guess it doesn't matter because I guarantee it won't last long!

So if I don't pitch extra bottling yeast it would be a candidate for long term aging?

Not necessarily. It is more a function of taking every step possible to make sure you have the best product possible in the bottle to handle long aging. Having the right amount of priming yeast is just one step that a brewer can take. The process for brewing an archive quality beer starts with recipe formulation and doesn't end until you crack the top and drink it. There are lots of steps along the way that you can take to make sure you don't have a horrible beer after 2-3 years.

That said, I would just focus on making a consistently quality product at this point.

If you would really like to get into brewing Belgians on a regular basis, perhaps reading "Brew Like A Monk", "Belgian Ale", and a few other books specializing on Belgian beers would be beneficial... That... and or reading the thousands of pages on Belgian beer on the Internet.

This is true. There is a wealth of information out there. I did over a year of research before I brewed my last quad.

Ok so if I put say 5 grams of yeast in for bottling and decided to save a 6 pack of it for aging. Would it age well?

I guess I am asking because I was thinking about aging some of it for my brother in laws 21st in 2years but if its gonna go bad in that time ill just drink it and enjoy it while its good :)

I have my first tripel bulk aging right now, was in primary for 3 weeks, racked to secondary were it's been for 3 weeks. The plan is to bottle next weekend and add 4.5 oz of sugar and then it will sit for a few months. I will try one on my birthday on May 30th, no clue if it will be good/ready but I will find out. I'm not adding yeast to the bottles only priming with sugar.

It should be fine in 2 years. With the belgian Tripel types of yeast it can develop a banana bread kind of flavor if you let it age but if you don't mine it then I would just go for it.

Well the idea would be that it would age and be better but if its not gonna be any better than there's no reason for me to store it so long ill just make some more closer to the time

No, it's not a an outstanding beer to age. You might cellar it for 2-3 months, but I think they're good fresher. It's a hoppy, estery beer. Those are flavors that don't hold up well.

A quad, maybe. A dubbel, maybe. A triple, not so much.

Ya good point high gravity... i wasn't thinking about the improving with age aspect, more of you could do it if you wanted...

Back