First IPA, first all-grain, recipe feedback--

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

novaraz

Reaction score
I want to make a tasty IPA as my first all-grain brew. I have a 10-gal round Igloo cooler, which I am in the process of converting to a mash tun with the steel braid. I will be acquiring an 8-12 gallon kettle soon. In the meantime, I play with Beersmith. So what do you all think?

Type: All Grain
Date: 08/20/2012
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Brewer: Chris
Boil Size: 7.04 gal
Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Volume 6.50 gal
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 5.10 gal
Est Mash Efficiency 73.9 %

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
14 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
4.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Summit [17.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min 53.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min 4.8 IBUs
0.50 oz Summit [17.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min 14.8 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min 1.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Summit [17.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min 4.9 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 ml]
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days
1.00 oz Summit [17.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days

Est OG: 1.063
Est FG: 1.014

So, any thoughts? I recently acquired some bulk hops, I have 1 lbs of each: Apollo, Cascade, US Golding, Nugget, Styrian Golding, and Summit, so feel free to suggest a better hop schedule.
Also, the brew will be called Graduation IPA, cause I finally finished grad school :D

Looks delicious.

Personally, I'm a hophead, so I'd load up on the late additions even more. eg change those half ounces to a full ounce and just back the minutes up to hit a comparable IBU. I like to be able to smell my IPA from a room away. :)

I haven't used Apollo, but I would use some of that based on its description at around the 5 minute mark. I'd also cut the bittering. That's a lot of IBUs all at once. I'd also move the 20 minute addition to later; either 15 minutes or less. I'd throw an ounce of Apollo in the dry hop as well. The rest of it sounds fine. I used a pound of malenoiden in my last IPA and I like it. I also used a pound of munich to add some malt flavor.

Cool, thanks guys!
I was to focus on the hops, but keep it relatively simple. Also I hear Apollo described as 'dank'? Anyway, I think I will change the hop schedule to:
0.5oz Summit @ FWH, 27 IBU
0.5oz Summit @ 30m, 19 IBU
1oz Cascade @ 15m, 9 IBU
1oz Summit @ 15m, 24 IBU
1oz Cascase & Summit at FO, and again for the DH.

If you've never done AG before, 65% is not unrealistic, but possibly a little ambitious. Until you get experienced with your system, keep some DME on hand.

If you've never done AG before, 65% is not unrealistic, but possibly a little ambitious. Until you get experienced with your system, keep some DME on hand.

Good advice. I'm picking some up for Brandon O's Graff and starters. I'll get some extra.

Back