Guinness Ice Cream for St. Paddy's day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean

Reaction score
1 Cup Milk
1 Cup Cream
½ vanilla bean
2/3 cup stout of choice, preferably Irish
2 Tablespoons Molasses
1/3 cup Sugar
4 Large yolks

1. Pour milk, cream and vanilla in a pot bring to a boil.
2. Whip stout, molasses, sugar and yolks in a steel bowl. Deflate the beer a bit.
3. Temper the egg mixture with the hot cream. ( Add just a bit of the hot to the eggs, then just a bit more, while stirring constantly, whith a whisk, until you have at least half of it in the bowl. Then dump it back into the pot.)
4. Place back on the stove until it thickens, stirring constantly. About 180 degrees
5. Immediately pour it into another container, chill, spin.

It’s good. Distinctive Guinness flavor.

Be sure to deflate the beer a bit or you’ll get ice crystals in your IC.

Have a green day

I've tried making beer ice cream once. It is very important to use part milk and part cream. I tried it with all heavy cream and it became so thick it almost burned up my mixer. I haven't been brave enough to try it again.

My wife is a baker/commercial caterer and she makes killer ice creams in the summer. She mad some vanila/guiness last year for a local pub that came out amazing. I believe she boiled/reduced the guiness a little to kill some of the alchohol and condense the flavors. I'll get the recipe from her tonight after work and post it. It was amazing!

BTW, if any of you have significant others that don't like the smell of boiling wort. you will be single after they smell reducing stout!

Back