3rd Generation WLP001 :: Off Like a Rocket!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wittmania

Reaction score
Just had to share this video today.

http://qik.com/video/40057124

I racked a copper ale (SG 1.050) onto a cake that was made with WLP001 yeast I washed from a previous batch. This is my first time racking onto an intact cake. I racked the wort at 75* around midnight last night.

Seven hours later it's bubbling like I've never seen. It's throwing off so much heat that it's still at 75* even though the ambient temp is only 64*. I put it in my swamp cooler and it's leveling down slowly (I like to ferment the 001 a little on the cool side).

I think I may have to try to arrange my brewing pipeline a little more carefully so I can try this again.

wittmania said:
I think I may have to try to arrange my brewing pipeline a little more carefully so I can try this again.

Just out of curiosity, why? Overly aggressive fermentation and more heat production than your system can handle sound like bad things, no?

As the optimum fermentation range for WL001 is 68F - 73F I would be thinking more about organizing your process (rather than your pipeline) to improve your ability to maintain desired fermentation temperature.

Edit: Good, strong yeast is a positive thing though.

I did this once with a 7% IIPA. Bubbles in the blowoff within 90 minutes, beginnings of a krausen in 3 hours and, 8 hours later the bubbling was crazy - it wasn't the usual "bloop ... bloop ... bloop" we're all used to, but a steady unbroken stream of bubbles, kinda like blowing bubbles in a glass of milk using a straw.

Its pretty cool but, that said, I think I'd only do that when I can keep the temp down and when I'm making a hoppy-as-heck IIPA. I've heard that racking onto a yeast cake doesn't let yeast flavors develop but, since a big IPA is so dominated by hops, yeast flavors aren't so important.

3rd generation usually is much stronger than generation 1, but yeah, 75 is hot. Expect a lot of fruity esters. Repitching on the yeast cake often means you're over pitching as well.

I have had them blow off in the first few hours. I makes more sense if you're doing a really big beer... check it:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am starting now to come around to being a fan of WLP001, I am on my 2nd generation that I top cropped from a previous fermentation and I will tell you it is beast. I mashed a brown ale at 154 and the OG was 1.060. I used an appropriate starter and pitched at 64degrees. FG = 1.011 and if you give it time it drops out and is transparent.

Just out of curiosity, why? Overly aggressive fermentation and more heat production than your system can handle sound like bad things, no?

My system is OK. I just didn't set up the swamp cooler because my fermentation generally doesn't take off like this and my basement in Nebraska runs a pretty steady 64* to 66* most of the year. I noticed it was still warm when I woke up this morning, so I put it in a water bath to cool it down a bit. I know some yeast nuts recommend starting your fermentation a bit warmer and then cooling it once it gets going. So, I think it will be OK.

As for over-pitching, I just used the Mr. Malty pitching rate calculator and it said I should have used about 3 fluid ounces of slurry. I didn't measure, but I'd guess I used at least three times that much. I would say I'm more concerned about over pitching at this point than I am the warmer temp.

RDWHAHB. It'll still be beer and you'll still enjoy it even if it is overpitched.

Back