Mash Paddle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaneoco1981

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am thinking of making my own mash paddle. Every site I see online has them made of maple or oak or something like that. I am wondering if pine is ok or should I get maple or oak?

Pine tends to have a sappy or resinous quality, which I don't think you'll like flavoring your beers. Maple and oak are pretty neutral.

I think pine is pretty much not recommended for anything that will touch food.

Though you may end up with that West Coast "pine" hop flavor in every beer. :p

Red oak is what I am going with. Haven't done the build yet, but that it where my research pointed me. It also helped that when I went to HD, there was a piece of it already cut to the size I wanted. :mug:

I made mine out of some scrap cherry I had. Any dense wood will do just fine. If you have red oak available go with it. Your not aging beer with it your stirring mash and your boil. Its a fun project, make sure you post some pics of the finished product :)

I'd go with either Maple or Poplar.

You can find Maple boards at the big box stores in the specialty wood section. A decent sized piece is usually around $9.

For mine, I used Poplar dowels and a drill press to make a traditional mash rake design.

Check out this thread for more ideas/photos.

Back