Kegerator wiring question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poolshark021

Reaction score
I have recently built a kegerator out of an old kenmore fridge. I have a johnson controls temperature controller.
My problem is that I want the temp of the fridge to be 34-36 F, but the internal thermostat of the fridge keeps it around 40-42. Obviously the johnson controller can only regulate power to the fridge, not turning the compressor on and off.
At temps between 40 and 36 the controller is supplying power to the fridge but the fridge won't turn on the compressor. Is there a way to bypass the internal thermostat and make the fridge turn on the compressor every time it is 'plugged in'?

If you can find the wiring diagram or the owners manual that came with the fridge you could easily do it. Google the info from the sticker on the back near the compressor with the model number and see if you can find it online.

I agree that it would be very easy to jumper around the thermo, but would warn you to make sure the defrost timer is still in the circuit. That way you reduce the risk of freezing the evap coils and making the thing a luke-warm beer despenser.

p.s. check www.appliancepartspros.com they may have the diagram you are looking for.

p.s.s what I've done for my fermentation fridge is wire one of the aquarium digital temp controllers into the thermo circuit so that it now controls the entire cycle and the defrost timer is still active.

I have already tried finding a wiring diagram online. The fridge is so old I can't find any repair info. I can only find replacement parts.

The thermostat has 2 wires coming out of it, plus a chassis ground. In theory, when the temp gets too high the thermostat should complete the circuit between those wires, and then go to the defrost timer.

When I jumped those 2 wires the fridge did not turn on. I also un plugged it and plugged it back in and it still didn't turn on. I am assuming the defrost timer was stopping it from turning on. Does this make sense?

I am thinking I can just jumper those 2 wires and get the fridge to turn on whenever the johnson controller sends power, and still have the defrost timer work.

Sorry for the long response. Obviously you are not at work anymore.
It is a Kenmore 2537692614.

Happy Thanksgiving!

That is basically the same fridge I have. What I am going to do is pull their thermostat and then use a digital controller instead. Your controller will operate in the same way the thermostat did so everything should work just fine. The only thing you have to be careful of is that the thermostat is set low enough (e.g. in fridge temperature range) otherwise the freezer won't get cold enough... there is only one thermostat for both compartments and one evaporator coil (in the freezer).

Back