A smooth Porter!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougjones31

Reaction score
Try this out if you really like smooth Porter's.

For real Porter lovers, this will lack the roasted kick!, but it is a good session beer and on for converting BMC people over to dark Ales. If you want to make it a robust Porter then just up the black patent to 6 and Roasted Barley to 8 ounces.

I liken this to Yeungling Black and Tan. It is a tad more of everything, but just as smooth. Actually smoother because it does not have that little weird "twang" that Yeungling has.

Doug's Smooth Porter

8 Oz Crystal 60
6 Oz English Chocolate Malt
4 Oz American Black Patent
4 Oz American Roasted Barley
8 Oz Belgium Biscuit Malt

Steep @ 158 for 30 mins with 1 tsp Burton Salts

6 Lbs Muntons Light LME
2 Lbs Breiss Amber DME
8 Oz Malto Dextrin

1.25 Oz Cascade Hops (60 min bittering)
1.5 Fuggles Hops (5 min aroma)

Use White Labs European Ale WLP-011

primary 1 week
secondary 2 weeks
bottle of keg for 6 weeks before consumption.

The most important ingredient for that "smoothness" you speak of is the maltodextrin.

And on that note, I've got a tip for ya...don't pay the exhorbitant amounts they want for MD powder at the online HBS's. Go to some place like bulknutrition.com and you'll find maltodex powder being sold at a very cheap price as a dietary supplement, like protein powder. In fact, I've been using MD in my pre- and post-workout shakes much longer than I've been brewing. It's a great complex carb.

Back