two 120v elements, one PID

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoalCracker

Reaction score
Currently I have one 1500w element and a 2000w element. The 1500w element is through a Ranco controller. Ideally I would like to upgrade that to a 2000w element so I would have 2 2000w elements run at the same time. My system is a brutus 20. I would like the combined power of the two to decrease the amount of time it takes to reach mash/boiling temperatures. I have two 20a services available to me. My issue is that I would like to have those two running off of one PID. Not sure how to wire that up. I know there are some really good schematics on here. However they are all 240v. Here is how I would like it to look:

-Two 20a 120v circuits
-One PID
-2 25a SSR
-2 25a Heatsinks
-switches for:
two pumps
each element
Main power

I would power up the PID to mash temp. This would turn on the two elements to heat the water. I would transfer water to mash tun and add grain and start recirculating. Few steps forward. When it's time to boil. I would like to set the temp to 212 and start my boil. If anyone knows of a schematic or would be able to draw one up I would appreciate it. I'm not good at drawing them. However I understand them and can wire. Also, any suggestions are appreciate it.

Currently I have one 1500w element and a 2000w element. The 1500w element is through a Ranco controller. Ideally I would like to upgrade that to a 2000w element so I would have 2 2000w elements run at the same time. My system is a brutus 20. I would like the combined power of the two to decrease the amount of time it takes to reach mash/boiling temperatures. I have two 20a services available to me. My issue is that I would like to have those two running off of one PID. Not sure how to wire that up. I know there are some really good schematics on here. However they are all 240v. Here is how I would like it to look:

-Two 20a 120v circuits
-One PID
-2 25a SSR
-2 25a Heatsinks
-switches for:
two pumps
each element
Main power

I would power up the PID to mash temp. This would turn on the two elements to heat the water. I would transfer water to mash tun and add grain and start recirculating. Few steps forward. When it's time to boil. I would like to set the temp to 212 and start my boil. If anyone knows of a schematic or would be able to draw one up I would appreciate it. I'm not good at drawing them. However I understand them and can wire. Also, any suggestions are appreciate it.

It's the same - Just wire the SSR output of the PID to both SSRs. Then the PID will trigger both elements. Or just one element or the other is you turn one of the element switches off...

Back