Bottle Cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zwan05

Reaction score
Is it possible to put all my bottles in the dish washer and replace the soap with non rinse sanitizer?

Are you asking about cleaning or sanitizing? That's two different things.
Cleaners clean and sanitizers sanitize, and you really need to clen first and sanitize after.

Many of us use oxclean in a bin with hot water, it also gets the labels off easily.

And putting no rinse sanitizer in the dish washer is NOT a good idea, there is a thread an pictures floating around here of a kitchen full of foam from putting starsan in the dishwasers.

As others have said, I also use oxyclean to "clean" a batch of bottles once I gather a few cases of 'em. Then I store them in the closet with my beer equipment upside down in old cases. Bottling day (which is now thankfully a thing of the past with the new keezer) I'd pull out 55 or so bottles, load them in the dishwasher and run it on extra hot/sanitize mode with heated dry to "sanitize" them. Let them cool a few hours, then bottle away.... not a single contamination issue to date.

so wouldnt putting them in with normal dishwasher detergent with a heated dry do the trick? no sanitizer needed?

Dish washing detergent might leave a soap on them which would taint your beer and reduce head if i have learned anything from browsing over the last few days.

I don't add any sanitizer or detergent to the dishwasher... nothing. I allow the hot water and heated dry to perform the sanitizing. And... as I said earlier, no problems to date after many many batches.

As others have said, I also use oxyclean to "clean" a batch of bottles once I gather a few cases of 'em. Then I store them in the closet with my beer equipment upside down in old cases. Bottling day (which is now thankfully a thing of the past with the new keezer) I'd pull out 55 or so bottles, load them in the dishwasher and run it on extra hot/sanitize mode with heated dry to "sanitize" them. Let them cool a few hours, then bottle away.... not a single contamination issue to date.

I never did the extra hot mode to sanitize bottles. After a bottle is used at my house its placed in the dishwasher and cleaned with regular dishes. Upon bottling day I dump them in my cleaning bucket with starstan and rinse each bottle to insure no bacteria.

Take in mind my bottling day is not just me; but my wife and two daughters who all lend a hand so it goes by very quick...

I never did the extra hot mode to sanitize bottles. After a bottle is used at my house its placed in the dishwasher and cleaned with regular dishes. Upon bottling day I dump them in my cleaning bucket with starstan and rinse each bottle to insure no bacteria.

Take in mind my bottling day is not just me; but my wife and two daughters who all lend a hand so it goes by very quick...

ditto on this. I wash my bottles with the regular dishes. On bottling day, I fill the dishwasher with 9+ 6 packs and put it on sani-wash, no detergent (and heat dry). When it's all done, I start the priming sugar boiling and go from there, no worries. Works like a charm 150 gallons later, no worries.

I bought some NASTY old long necks. I mean grungelous. Soaked em in oxyclean. Bottle brushed em. Back in oxyclean. Bottle brush em then inspect em( look down the neck at a light bulb) keep repeating until I could see nothing in the bottle. Store em upside down until bottling day. Bottling day line em up and hit each one with the vinator a couple of times then fill. When I empty a new one, I rinse it really good with hot water and store it upside down. I have had 3 individual bottles that I THINK were infected. All 3 were the nasty ones I bought.

Back