Anyone use JB Weld?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregKelley

Reaction score
So I think that the hole for my heating element is just a bit too big. When I put in the element, there is some play between the threads and the hole. I can get it to be leak proof sometimes but other times it doesn't work so good. My fear is when the pot heats up it will expand and I'll get leaks.

I'm considering using JB Weld to attach the 1" stainless NPS nut to my stainless pot. Anyone tried it? My thinking it to put it outside of the pot.

I think quite a few people have been using it. I have on mine. It's been about six months now with no leaks.

Mine is on the inside, but you can do it either way. My front panel is thin enough that there is enough thread for my NPT to tri-clamp adapter and gasket. YMMV

I cant remember which jb weld off hand. I'll have to get back to you on that.

Why not just solder the nut on? I have done it a few times and worked out great.

I'd appreciate it if you could check on the type of JB Weld. I'm assuming it handles the torquing when you screw in a new element and tighten it down. Did you do any roughing up of the pot surface?

I'd appreciate it if you could check on the type of JB Weld. I'm assuming it handles the torquing when you screw in a new element and tighten it down. Did you do any roughing up of the pot surface?

I'm pretty sure you are directing this one at me. I don't have to torque it too much. If I over do it, the washer will just start deforming. Because I'm using a tri-clamp fitting, There is no torque to the kettle. I am not trying to seal a flat surface to a curved one. I take off the NPT to tri-clamp adapter for cleaning after every brewing session and have not had an issue. Yes, I did rough the surface of both the plate and the nut.

Sorry, I missed that you wanted to jb weld the fitting to the kettle. I don't think it would work very well in that context. I'm just using it as a seal to the enclosure plate.

Thanks for both of you gentlemen for clearing up and more importantly showing me the post describing how JB Weld failed.

With soldering, I've only done it with copper pipes using a propane torch. Anything special for soldering stainless steel?

I just didn't think that a solder fitting would hold up well to torquing.

With the right liquid flux it will solder just like copper. I have soldered fitttings to a keg and you could hit them with a hammer and they won't come off.

Patience Grasshopper, your award will be a well built pot and the ability to mount even more accessories without weld-less kits or a TIG machine.

Back