Recipe suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ketchepillar

Reaction score
I'm going to brew this weekend. I was thinking something like this using WLP001:

9lbs 2row
1lb Chocolate Malt
1.5lb Roasted Barley
2/3lb Crystal 120
2/3lb Flaked Oats

Hops: haven't really decided yet, but I was thinking American Cascades to the tune of ~65IBUs.

Your thoughts/suggestions? Thanks in a advance.

9lbs 2row
1lb Chocolate Malt
1.5lb Roasted Barley
2/3lb Crystal 120
2/3lb Flaked Oats

This grainbill puts you in the 50 SRM area. For comparison, the Russian Imperial Stout style tops out at 40 SRM! Personally, I'd replace a pound of your roasted grains (Choc and RB) with more 2-row. With 65IBU, that puts you right on the money for an American Stout, but you might want to use a high-alpha hop just for the bittering charge. But it's your beer.

I wouldn't waste Cascades on a stout bittering charge. The flavor won't come through unless you first wort hop, so you're better off using a high-alpha variety to get your 65 IBU.

I think you're better off reducing the amount of roasted grains, as well, to a total of no more than 1.5 lbs. You have a few choices. You can eliminate the Chocolate entirely, or you can juggle both amounts. Some claim that one roasted grain only gives a one-dimensional flavor profile; I think those people are talking through their hats. There's enough going on, flavor wise, in this grist without two different roasted grains, because you've got the sweet, dark fruit of the 120L Crystal along with the nutty silkiness of the oats. The Starbucks-like bitterness of Roasted Barley is a perfect complement to those flavors.

In sum, swap the hops for a high-alpha variety and delete the Chocolate malt from the grist. That's my recommendation.

Bob

Back