Propane tank froze regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShortSnoutBrewing

Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
Reaction score
SO I was brewing this past weekend. Saturday morning I got up and took a few propane tanks to the gas station to be filled. I have your normal everyday tank, then one about twice the size that is ubber old. Small one worked fine for heating my strike water etc. While I was doing that, the large one started to hiss and gas was coming out. It was sitting in the sun for a few hours and thought that was it so I moved it in the shade, it stopped.

Well, I hooked it up to my burner to start my boil. Within about 5 minutes the regulator was frosted over. I knew this was not good, so I turned off the gas, disconnected then attached the smaller tank and completed my boil.

I know this isn't good/right, but what is it? Water in the tank somehow? Over filled tank??

Now, I just filled this sucker at close to $30. Is there anything I can do that won't involve loosing it all?

I googled this and there are about 1500 different "reasons" for why it occurs and just about as many recommendations on what to do. They all seem to contradict eachother, so I'm just going to wait for one of our resident "gas geeks" to give me a detailed technical explanation and then for someone else to put it in laymans terms. I remember last year at Brewtopia's holiday party that it got down to freezing and the big gas heat lamps would go out and keep having to be restarted.

The second guess, over filled tank, the relief valve opening while not in use meant that tank had no room for propane liquid to expand. The tank was sending liquid propane into the regulator where it was trying to turn into gas again and it needs heat to change from liquid to gas. Same process that chills the tank only on a much smaller and colder scale as the surface area of the regulator is so small. As to using the tank, keep the flow down for about 30 minutes and enough propane should be burned off to correct the problem of liquid propane entering the regulator.

Pour hot water over the regulator. It's just the condensation freezing on the outside of the regulator body due to high humidity and super cold propane inside the tank. Not a big deal, but hot water will clear it up if you need it to.

Yeah, I've heard about that happening if you have too many ports that are pulling too much propane from the tank. I don't exactly understand it. But hope that helps you.

I haven't used a propane burner much, but I use a propane torch at work. I just torch the tank now and then and pressure is back. :)
The tank will freeze over easy when it's cool outside and I'm using it at maximum--and that's a 9 gal. tank.

It was probably just overfilled, no need to worry. It will be fine once the level goes down. Propane is cold after all.

If it makes a difference it was probably around 48º - 50º when I had it filled and closer to 58º-60º when I was starting to use it.

Didn't they add the newer valves with a float to prevent overfilling the bottles a couple years ago?
A new 20# valve/float will only hold 4 plus not a full 5 gallons propane.
Charge the same price filling a 20# with less propane means more dollar refill profits.

If you have the proper fittings inverting the larger overfilled bottle and drain off a gallon or more into the smaller bottle that is in its normal position. Tank to tank fittings with the proper short hose will do. Open the vent valve on the smaller bottle being filled.
This way you'll have gas flow thru the regulator instead of liquid from the larger bottle preventing freezing of the regulator.
If your pulling a high volume of gas feeding many large burners at once the regulator may still freeze up even under a gas discharge condition depending on the air temps your working at.

The age of the tank does not matter unless you still kave the old style valve on top which can allow for a overfill. I'm surprised they would fill a bottle with the older style valve, I believe this was a EPA or Federal law that was passed? Those new replacement valves limit how much of a fill you can get at least on those 20# bottles. A float / cut off valve is added I was told by a Blue Rino driver and they only fill between 4 and 4 1/4 gallons in those 5 gallon or 20# bottles. Strange you still get charged the same amount of money vs those older bottles that were filled a full 5 gallons. Must add that propane prices per/gallon are crazy these days and may get worse. My bottles are for the BBQ only, brewing will be with twin 45-5,500 watt elements run on 240 volt for heating. No refill or running out of propane mid brewing besides the price they are asking and driving around for refills. JMO on how i'll heat my brewing system, one less problem in the future brewing process.

I believe MikeFlynn had the same problem kilted. I suggested he turn the burner onto the tank to warm it up.

You're right beemer, there was a law passed and all those old tanks without the overfill shouldn't be refilled. The older style has a valve knob that looks like a star, whereas the new ones have a valve knob that looks like a triangle with the corners cut off.

Yeah, I've heard about that happening if you have too many ports that are pulling too much propane from the tank. I don't exactly understand it. But hope that helps you.

The propane in that tank is compressed into liquid form. When you release it, it expands into a gas. This is the basic principle for Air conditioners and refrigerators, and propane makes a good cheap refrigerant! The tank is GOING to get cold if you're drawing a lot from it, depending on the amount being drawn, the size of the valve, and the conditions you're in (humidity, ambient temp) it may ice up. Even with a small burner the tank will get cold and covered in condensation after a bit.

You're right beemer, there was a law passed and all those old tanks without the overfill shouldn't be refilled. The older style has a valve knob that looks like a star, whereas the new ones have a valve knob that looks like a triangle with the corners cut off.

AFAIK, they can still be refilled for select purposes. My cousin gets his refilled for torches he uses in his paving business.

Back