Oatmeal stout recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinghellsfire_NZ

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anybody have a Oatmeal Stout recipe that uses extract and steeping grains that they would recommend.
I work in a brewpub in New Zealand so can get malt and hops from there as well as yeast. I know the brewer has light, medium and dark crystal, pale chocolate malts and roasted barley other than that i don't know but i can get others from my LHBS.
I would like to use Pacific Gem as my bittering hop and i can also get Pacific Hallertau or any other NZ hop from work. So any help with the recipe would be great.

Thanks in advance

Go to www.thebrewingnetwork.com and go to Jamil's page. He goes over the recipe, style, and ingredients. Great resource and a fantastic recipe I always have on tap. I have never had a person dislike the beer and have had many drink way to many. :tank:

do i have to listen to the entire show because i don't have the time or the inclination to do that

YES!!! You are here by sentenced to 1+ hours of listening to his lordship Jamil! You must listen, you must learn, you must drink the KoolAid!!! :fro:
Actually it is highly recomended as even if you get the recipe on the quick you'll learn some nuances, potential changes to the recipe, and just good info that'll make your brew day easier. Just a tip, scroll to the end of the episode, he usually does a recipe recap in the last few minutes.

Schlante,
Phillip

Out of interest what brewpub do you work at and where is your LHBS?

Sounds like you're getting the Cryers malts at your work but I guess if you ordered through them you'd be dedicated to a full sack? If you didn't alread know you can get a lot more malts (some of the Weyermann, Barrett Burston and Bairds malts) and hops (including some imported from the US, UK and Ger) from Brewer's Coop in Mt Wellington, Auckland and they sell in small amounts for a good price.

Mike there will send you a price list and you can (e)mail order from him - [email protected].

try this...

12 pounds of 2 row pale or marris otter
0.5 pounds Cristal 60
0.5 pounds of crystal 80
0.5 pounds of chocolate malt
0.5 pounds of roasted barly
1.0 pouns of flaked oats

2.0 os of northern brewer 60 min
1.0 oz fuggles 10-15 min
1.0 oz fuggles 1 min

use any british ale yeast I like WL 002 I think it's called London Ale. Ferments fast and flocks out real well.

Mash at 152-154 for 60-90 min

boil for 60 min

chill, airate and pitch a 2 lt starter or use at least two fresh yeast packages.

ferment in the primary for 2 weeks and then strait to bottling. No need to secondary if you ask me.

What do you think?

do i have to listen to the entire show because i don't have the time or the inclination to do that

A quick google for "jamil oatmeal stout recipe" led me to this link: http://beerdujour.com/Recipes/Jamil/JamilsOatmealStout.htm

The recipe is pasted below:

Oatmeal Stout

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

13-C Stout, Oatmeal Stout

Min OG: 1.048 Max OG: 1.065
Min IBU: 25 Max IBU: 48
Min Clr: 22 Max Clr: 60 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 6.00 Wort Size (Gal): 6.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 12.90
Anticipated OG: 1.055 Plato: 13.47
Anticipated SRM: 35.3
Anticipated IBU: 36.1
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 7.74 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.042 SG 10.55 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
72.9 9.40 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
7.8 1.00 lbs. Flaked Oats America 1.033 2
5.8 0.75 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350
5.8 0.75 lbs. Victory Malt America 1.034 28
3.9 0.50 lbs. Crystal 80L 1.033 80
3.9 0.50 lbs. Roasted Barley America 1.028 500

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.80 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 5.00 36.1 60 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP002 English Ale

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 12.90
Water Qts: 16.77 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 4.19 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.30 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 154 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 168 Time: 10
Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 60

Total Mash Volume Gal: 5.22 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

Jamil Zainasheff
http://www.mrmalty.com

"Nothing like a fine beer pulled straight from the wood." - Real Ale Twats

I'm at work so I can't get my recipe for my oatmeal stout that I currently have kegged (which I think is awesome by the way). However, whatever recipe you go with, I would recommend roasting your oats. I think it really brings out the oat flavor and some subtle smokey/coffee like undertones from the roast itself. I just spread out the oats on a cookie sheet or two, and place them in a oven at 350-375. Every 15 minutes or so, "flip" (or re-scatter) the oats around so they roast evenly. I think my recipe called for a roasting of 75 minutes, but my second batch I roasted for 1.5+ hours. Roasting also adds a great color IMHO.

Brewers Best has a stout kit. I think I just steeped a pound of FLAKED oats in with the steeping grains. Mine has turned out to be my favorite extract so far. Ages very well.

Brewers Best has a stout kit. I think I just steeped a pound of FLAKED oats in with the steeping grains. Mine has turned out to be my favorite extract so far. Ages very well.

Just out of curiosity, what benefit do you get from steeping flaked oats as opposed to mashing?

Benefits would be zero; however, since that is an extract kit mashing would be impossible. Steeping would be the only way to achieve an "oatmeal stout."

If you listen to Jamil's show with any regularity, you'll find he often encourages extract brewers to take on a small partial mash to reap the full benefit of certain grains. However, since the OP was looking for an extract recipe, I suppose steeping the flaked oats would have to do.

Yeah, oatmeal stout is one of my favorites. It will be one of my first attmepts once I get my AG setup complete. Still, the BB kit is one of my favorites so far.

Back