Is it legal to transport homebrew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max-the-knife

Reaction score
I have an uncle in California who visited last summer and was interested in my brewing hobby. I am going on vacation in California around Labor Day and would like to take this uncle some of my bottled brews. I will be passing through a State of California Dept. of Agriculture road cheek near Barstow (I-15) and was wondering what the legal ramifications might be in transporting my homebrew across state lines. Does anyone know?

Here's the actual text of the law: http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cacodes/bpc/23660-23673.html

Still doesn't address your question directly... the only thing I can find that's even remotely close is
23661.1. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, an adult
passenger on board a chartered airplane on a flight which commences
and terminates in the continental United States and which does not
land outside the continental United States, may bring not to exceed
one quart of alcoholic beverages into this State for household or
personal use. Such alcoholic beverages shall be exempt from state
licensing restrictions. No person shall bring in more than one quart
of alcoholic beverages during any calendar year pursuant to the
authority granted in this section.

Not sure what this means if you're arriving by means other than chartered plane...

I'd be curious to know as well. I'm leaving for a vacation in Florida this coming Friday and I was planning on taking some homebrew along. I never considered the fact that it may be illegal to transport it across state lines.

I just drove 3 kegs of homebrew out here to Denver with no problems. At the I-5 border crossing coming out of Oregon into Calfornia, they don't even stop passenger cars anymore. Only commercial trucks. Not sure if it's the same in Barstow. I don't think I'd sweat it much.

Yeah, California doesn't stop passenger cars anymore. The inspection station on I-10 coming from Arizona is the same way, except there is a van from ICE constantly parked there too.

The last ime I got stopped on hiway 8 near Yuma, they only asked about fruits and veggies. Their point is to prevent incoming pests. Yeast don't count.

I don't think you are acually supposed to be allowed to transport alcohol across state line without permits. The whole taxation thing. But since homebrew isn't for purchase, it isn't taxed, so there isn't an issue.

Back