DIPA Help, No carb still, too sweet.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChadChaney

Reaction score
So my DIPA has been in the bottle with Coopers drops for 3 months and no carbonation at all, also tastes really sweet. I am wondering if I under pitched, my gravity readings are a mess for this beer, I did not take good notes and only made a small starter. My question is this, how can I save this batch? Can I empty the bottles back into a carboy and repitch and then add priming sugar later to bottle? Should I attempt the dry yeast in the bottle and re-cap route? I would like to get rid of the sweetness, I am guessing from not enough yeast to ferment out fully, so I am leaning toward the re-pitching route. Any advice would be appreciated..

you're going to aerate the hell out of it by trying to pour it all back into a carboy. trying to put more yeast into the bottles, if it's really not done fermenting, could result in bottle bombs.

sounds like you know how to make things different next time. make a good starter, take accurate gravity readings and don't rush to bottle.

What if I lay the carboy on its side and gently pour in, lol? Only have about a case or so of bottles, think that might work?

You could mix up some champagne yeast and squirt a bit into each bottle and recap. BUT only do this if you are SURE the beer is fully fermented. If you bottled it before it was really done (what are your gravity readings), then you might want to put all the bottles inside a plastic tote and put something heavy on the lid...

I had the same problem with a big RIS. I ended up emptying the bottles back into a carboy and pitching some new yeast. I didnt get any oxidation problems, but I also repitched with WLP099 so it chewed up a bit more of the sugar so it may have taken up any oxygen that was added.

dcp27- I think I going to try this method, very carefully, but I think I am going to make a starter of Pacman, have plenty on hand and it seems to chew through anything!

Have a 1.6-7 liter starter of Pacman on the stirplate right now, planning on this methodology: open bottles and slowly pour into carboy, pitch active starter, wait... Dry hop again, rebottle and wait... Hope this works, Ill post results.

ChadChaney, do you mind updating me on how this went? I'm having the same issue and am curious how this turned out. THANKS!

Sorry, just saw the reply, ended up dumping the batch, taste wasn't worth the effort

Back