Water report help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildwest450

Reaction score
I finally got my water reports. I feel this is the last step in being able to have some control over my brewing. The trouble is, im a dope and need some help. I brew mainly IPA's and APA's with some porters thrown in. The top report is my tap water, the bottom one is an under ground spring I have access to.

TAP WATER
pH 7.9
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est 28
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.05
Cations / Anions, me/L 0.4 / 0.4
ppm
Sodium, Na 3
Potassium, K < 1
Calcium, Ca 4
Magnesium, Mg < 1
Total Hardness, CaCO3 14
Nitrate, NO3-N 0.1 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S 2
Chloride, Cl 4
Carbonate, CO3 < 1
Bicarbonate, HCO3 9
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 8
"<" - Not Detected / Below Detection Limit

SPRING WATER
pH 5.8
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est 40
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.07
Cations / Anions, me/L 0.2 / 0.1
ppm
Sodium, Na 1
Potassium, K < 1
Calcium, Ca 2
Magnesium, Mg < 1
Total Hardness, CaCO3 9
Nitrate, NO3-N 0.2 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S < 1
Chloride, Cl < 1
Carbonate, CO3 < 1
Bicarbonate, HCO3 3
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 3
"<" - Not Detected / Below Detection Limit

Up to this point I have used the spring water for 90% of my brews with good results. But I can't help thinking I could always improve.

I would say your spring is the way to go. The pH is closer (5-5.5 is ideal). And you don't have to worry about chlorine or chloramine in the spring either.

I would say your spring is the way to go. The pH is closer (5-5.5 is ideal). And you don't have to worry about chlorine or chloramine in the spring either.

I should be adding something to it, shouldn't I? There's nothing in it!

I'd go with Burton water salts for the PA's in the recommended doses.

For porters add a 1/2 teaspoon of gypsum and a healthy pinch of salt or (1/3t) for 5 gallon batches.

I'd actually use tap water and campden tablets if it is highly chlorinated or if they use chloramine. You might have to increase the ph of the spring water after adding minerals as they could make the water too acidic.

I would like to stick with one water source, is one better than the other? Btw my tap water is treated with "bleach" as the good ole boy at utility district put it.

Would you mind posting your info to the Water Quality Reports thread I started in the Ingredients forum? The link is in my signature.

As for your question, I think either source would be fine to brew with (although they would definitely benefit from mineral additions) - they are chemically very similar, and with that few minerals, the pH of the tap water shouldn't be a major issue, either (low bicarbonate/carbonate/alkalinity = low buffering capacity). Go with whatever your preference is.

How to Brew has a couple of chapters on brewing water that will help you decide on mineral additions. A software like Beer Smith can also help you calculate your additions.

Both of those waters are very soft and low alkalinity...they are actually pretty close...I would say use whichever is easier/cheaper (but deal with any chlorine appropriately of course).

Those waters would be great for light lagers like Pilsners/Helles but not so good for Porters/Stouts.

For lighter brews I'd still try to get some Calcium and a tiny bit of Magnesium in there...so some combination of CaCl, Gypsum, and Epsom salts.

For darker brews you're gonna need some chalk plus some of the others to balance it all out.

Read Chapter 15 in Palmer's How To Brew and plot your water on that nomograph and play with that spreadsheet (all in chapter 15 of HTB). I use that spreadsheet for every brew I do...although I must admit I'm seeing some trends and I think I will end up with maybe half a dozen 'water recipes' that should cover just about everything.

Latest posts

Back