WO HOO!!! Clear beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enohcs

Reaction score
I just wanted to announce my first naturally, brilliantly clear beer. And it's a blonde ale so it really shows. :rockin: In the past I've always used irish moss, and let everything settle in the fermentors, and cold crashed, but I always got some haze. What did I do different this time?

The only thing I can think of is I boiled the crap out of it. I boiled this guy for 90 minutes, and I didn't start the timer until my thermometer said it was boiling. Normally I would start my timer for 60 minutes once I saw "boiling action", however this time I looked at the thermometer at that point and it said I still had at least 15F to go before it was at boil temperature. and this time the hot break was a lot more vigorous than in past brews.

So for everyone who still has haze even though they're using all the finnings, try boiling for longer and make sure to go by the thermometer and not the visual.

Way to go! Did you boil for 90 because of DMS, or just as a test?

Given that in CO you are at probably 3000 above sea level, the early boil makes sense.
The other thing you can do to improve clarity is to add some gelatin after you're completely sure fermentation has ceased. It binds to the proteins and yeast and makes them fall out.

Given that in CO you are at probably 3000 above sea level, the early boil makes sense.
The other thing you can do to improve clarity is to add some gelatin after you're completely sure fermentation has ceased. It binds to the proteins and yeast and makes them fall out.

I'm in Colorado Springs at 6032' and my water boils at 200 degrees F.

ttiwwp.gif

I boiled for 90 because I was using pilsner malt in my blonde and I was informed that I may want to do do an extended boil with that style malt. And I'm guessing being at 5500ft I'm going to boil at a much lower temp.

thats purty. now ive heard that if you pass beer through a filter a couple times you could get it clearer...is this true?

I just got a really clear beer by leaving it in the primary for 7 weeks.

I know that seems wrong, but it's true. There is no sediment! Wierd.

No secondary and no filtering. It was like the sediment was packed tightly in the primary and it still bottle carbed fine!

thats purty. now ive heard that if you pass beer through a filter a couple times you could get it clearer...is this true?

That's how the pros do it...but if I can get it this clear without filtration, I'm not going to spend the $$$.

Only filter I have ever used is a hop bag when transferring.

I don't even strain going into the primary. I think this makes clearer beer.

No secondary and no filtering. It was like the sediment was packed tightly in the primary and it still bottle carbed fine!

I don't think mine was in there 7 weeks, probably 4 weeks in the primary, but i was shocked at how clear it was. Granted this is Youpper's Cream Ale, but I would have thought it was be a bit cloudy.

Yeah, Cheers to the tap on your wall. I still have to walk to the garage...but the wheels are turning now.

Congrats on the clear beer!

Anyone else notice that enohcs and mZnthebend are both from Aurora... yet not even in the same time zone?

+1 for this. I made my first primary only 3 months ago and it's very very clear. 7 weeks, no secondary and no filtering for me too. Just exact the same.
1 or 2 days of a good cold crushing helps a lot too.
Cheers from Italy! :mug:
Piteko

Back