Kent Place Software releases BeerAlchemy for the Mac

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCheatOSX

Reaction score
http://www.kentplacesoftware.com/products/BeerAlchemy.html

Finally, a ProMash-like program for the Mac!!! The FREE Demo is fully functional for 30 days or 7 launches. Full version costs $29.95 and requires OS 10.4.x (Tiger). I've not used ProMash, so I can't really compare the two, but so far I'm loving the demo. To my knowledge, this is the only Mac brewing program. Pass the word to your Mac-using brewing buddies!

-TheCheatOSX

Excellent! Thanks for posting the info. I've been holding off purchasing a program because I don't like to use my PC any more than necessary.
Keep us apprised of how your testing goes. Or send a private email if you don't mind.

Yes!!!
Mac users! Wow, thought I was the only one . . . :)
I'll have to try that out.
Thanks, the Cheat! (in Strongbad voice)

edit - Man!!! its only for Tiger! I didn't see that in the original post.

El Pistolero said:
What! You mean software that runs on one mac won't run on all macs? :confused:
Tiger is the code name for the latest version of the Mac OS (v 10.4). This software will only run on Macs running 10.4.

The advantage is that the software utilizes features of the latest OS. Apple has been cranking out major upgrades every year or so. The disadvantage is that it's not OS-backwards compatible. Ya take the good with the bad. Several PC programs run on the same principle. The only difference is that Windoze only has a major update every decade or so - stuff stays "current" longer. (kidding... it's more like every five years.)

DrewsBrews said:
The only difference is that Windoze only has a major update every decade or so - stuff stays "current" longer. (kidding... it's more like every five years.)
Yeah, but they release their updates to beta testers (meaning the whole world) 4 years ahead of time, so it's really like only a year between updates, if my math is right. ;)

Hey Pistol, "Don't F*** with the Jesus, man" (in really bad Tuturro accent)
yes DB is right, it won't work on my piddly OS10.3.

What are you guys waiting on? Tiger rocks! Spotlight search, Dashboard... Come on, Steve needs the money!

So far so good on the demo. The GUI is sort of like iTunes. You have a main library and can make Groups (aka Playlists) to help separate them into categories. It has a huge list of ingredients (grain, hops, yeast, adjuncts...) which you can add or subtract. Has BJCP styles to match up to. As you add your ingredients, it has a live update on the results. Has several calculators that are in separate windows for convenience. You can even export your recipes to PDF or HTML.

-TheCheat

TheCheatOSX said:
What are you guys waiting on? Tiger rocks! Spotlight search, Dashboard... Come on, Steve needs the money!
So far so good on the demo. The GUI is sort of like iTunes. You have a main library and can make Groups (aka Playlists) to help separate them into categories. It has a huge list of ingredients (grain, hops, yeast, adjuncts...) which you can add or subtract. Has BJCP styles to match up to. As you add your ingredients, it has a live update on the results. Has several calculators that are in separate windows for convenience. You can even export your recipes to PDF or HTML.
-TheCheat

I know, I know. Stevo is nearly broke. We downloaded it at work (we have Tiger here) and it is quite nice. My friend (who has Tiger on his laptop) is about to buy it already!

TheCheatOSX said:
You guys talking about Steve Flack, the developer of the software? I've been emailing back and forth with him since yesterday and he seems responsive and eager to answer questions about his program. Gotta like that. In one reply, he told me that the current version (1.0) serves as a test bed to see what kind of interest the program would get. He spoke of a "host of features we want to implement in the future", including the ability to import recipes from some of the PC programs. He also mentioned that he has a vested interest in the software since he uses it himself. How cool is that? I'm going to be downloading and testing BeerAlchemy for the next few days. If it's as good as it looks, I'll be ponying up for my copy shortly thereafter. Any of you Mac users out there... give this thing a look. It's about time someone stepped up to represent our portion of the hobby.

By the way, I do have 10.4. My favorite part of of the more recent OS's: widgets. They rock. Check out this link to a widget for calculating alcohol content: http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/calculate_convert/alcoholcalculator.html

DrewsBrews said:
Ah. Well, I'd rather have my money line his pockets than Bill's. :D
Hey, cmon...Bill and Steve kissed and made up...I was there...I saw them do it. MS has as much interest in seeing apple survive as anyone...ain't that a kick in the head. :D The enemy is now google/aol. :mad:

TheCheatOSX said:
-TheCheat
I've been fiddling with the copy I downloaded today for a few hours. Pretty snazzy. This thing has got Promash beat hands down on the GUI. The printout is better than Promash, too. I wish I were a more experienced brewer or had brewed AG so I could really run BeerAlchemy through the paces.

Back