Looking for feedback, please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManTail

Reaction score
I'm still new to this and only have one batch under my belt (2 more on their way!) I'm brewing my first 2 from kits, my third will be my first recipe. It's between a honey hefey or this, a banana wheat. The folks here on this board have been such a big help that I was hoping you all could pick apart this recipe for me. I've built it in BeerSmith2. Please let me know what you think!

INGREDIENTS
3 lbs - Extra Light DME
3 lbs - Wheat LME
1 lb - Carapils
2 oz - Hallertauer (60 min)
A few cinnamon sticks (flame out or final 5?)
Orange peel (5 oranges - flame out or final 5?)
WL3068 (weizen liquid yeast from Wyeast)

Planning to add bananas, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg to secondary.

TARGET STATS (before secondary additions)
OG - 1.049
FG - 1.012
IBU - 22
SRM - 5.7
ABV - 4.8%

Have at it - please!

I think you have way too much going on there. First, you don't need carapils in this. There is already carapils in your extract and the wheat serves a similar purpose, at least the head retention part. Also, your wheat extract is a blend and will be somewhere around 65% wheat and 35% pale extract so it won't be as wheaty as you might think though I understand that the containers are 3lbs and it's just easier that way. But you might consider using Wheat DME and using more of the wheat extract than the pale, say 4 lbs wheat and 2 lbs pale.

I wouldn't add all that extra stuff to the beer mostly because that yeast will provide a lot of good flavor. 3068 fermented at warmer temps will produce banana esters, cooler temps will lean more towards clove phenolics, so you can manipulate the flavor with your fermentation temps. 62-63 produces a really well balanced weizen in my experience. As far as the orange goes, I like to drink mine with a big wedge of orange squeezed and stuffed into the glass. I know it's probably not how the Germans drink it but I still do it.

All that being said, it's your beer and the beauty of homebrewing is that you can do whatever the heck you want.

hogwash - I really appreciate the feedback! I've adjusted my recipe a bit per your recommendations. Thank you very much!

Brandon

Back