Can I expect more root/rhizome growth by burying old growth?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odinsgift

Reaction score
I heard someone mention this is an advantage for division purposes and turnaround time.
Validations?

Sounds reasonable to me. The buried part of the bine should sprout rootlets in spring, so it would likely make for easier divisions of rhizomes. Half the fun is the experiment, so I'd give it a go--I can't see how it could hurt the plant...

I tried this in the middle of the growing season using some random late-sprouting bines on my Centennial, Chinook and Cascade plants. I just buried them under a couple of inches of the leaf mulch from the crown out a couple of feet, leaving a foot or two of leafy ends.

Two weeks later they had all sprouted hundreds of roots up to a couple of inches long. I could have cut them and planted them but with 15 two year old and very productive plants taking up all the prime real estate I would have had to make a new bed for them all...

Cheers!

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'old growth'. The reason I ask is that if you're talking about burying one of the vines that grew this past Summer, probably not gonna work for you. Those vines die back to the crown and won't produce any new growth at this point in the season. Like day tripper said, you can very easily bury some of the newly emerging shoots during their active growth phase and they'll generate roots and essentially turn into rhizomes now that you've forced them to become 'underground vegetative shoots' as opposed to aboveground shoots. I use this technique and end up with close to 100% success. It's just Nature at work!

Back