3 days no carbonation !

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karljrberno

Reaction score
So like i might be over antsy but i drink a bottle 3 days after bottling and have noticed "NO" carbonation , is this normal , I mean no carbonation not the fact that i drink one so green

Bottle carbing takes time, patience is required. When I bottle it takes 2-4 weeks with the bottles on top of my wall cabinets with a towel over them.

plus one... more like three weeks, did your beer taste like sweet tea?

When I was bottling it usually took me about a week to get any carbonation. I'd crack one at a week since I was antsy, then wait until the three week mark and they were usually pretty good by then.

It's also January and you're in Michigan. What temps are your bottles being stored at? You might be looking at three months of carb time :p

I've noticed that a week is about minimum before I saw enough carbonation to even make a pffft. The longer you wait, the better

68deg to 70deg in my closet here in MI , I have 40gallons on the floor

8 different flavors , 20gallons in bottles now and can FIRE at willllllll :mug:

will is coming very soon next week ? Ma by another 10gal on the floor I need to keg , But i want to master bottling first :D

Just thought I would find out what efficiency on carbonating my brews ,

3 days is pretty quick to be checking as others said.

Keep in mind that the beer needs some time at serving temp for the c02 in the head space of the bottle to absorb into the beer.

In other words if you pop one in the freezer for 20 minutes, that is not enough time for you to get a true sense on how carbonated the beer is as a lot of the c02 is still in the head space.

You don't have a carbing problem, you have a patience one....

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

And just because a beer is carbed doesn't mean it still doesn't taste like a$$ and need more time for the off flavors to condition out. You have green beer.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

If a beer isn't carbed by "x number of weeks" you just have to give them more time. If you added your sugar, then the beer will carb up eventually, it's really a foolroof process. All beers will carb up eventually. A lot of new brewers think they have to "troubleshoot" a bottling issue, when there really is none, the beer knows how to carb itself. In fact if you run beersmiths carbing calculator, some lower grav beers don't even require additional sugar to reach their minimum level of carbonation. Just time.

I've carbed hundreds of gallons of beer, and never had a beer that wasn't carbed, or under carbed or anything of the sort (Except for a batch where I accidently mixed up lactose or Maltodextrine for priming sugar). Some took awhile, (as I said up to six months) but they ALL eventually carbed.

You don't have a carbing problem, you have a patience one....

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

And just because a beer is carbed doesn't mean it still doesn't taste like a$$ and need more time for the off flavors to condition out. You have green beer.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

If a beer isn't carbed by "x number of weeks" you just have to give them more time. If you added your sugar, then the beer will carb up eventually, it's really a foolroof process. All beers will carb up eventually. A lot of new brewers think they have to "troubleshoot" a bottling issue, when there really is none, the beer knows how to carb itself. In fact if you run beersmiths carbing calculator, some lower grav beers don't even require additional sugar to reach their minimum level of carbonation. Just time.

I've carbed hundreds of gallons of beer, and never had a beer that wasn't carbed, or under carbed or anything of the sort (Except for a batch where I accidently mixed up lactose or Maltodextrine for priming sugar). Some took awhile, (as I said up to six months) but they ALL eventually carbed.

Thx man ! You really know how to hook a fellow Detroiter up :mug: I feel more confident and ready to tackle the ART of bottling .

I am on week, I don't even know, but about that long a Big Blonde Belgain. Tires one last night and all if did was fess out with no head yet, great taste for what it was, but still waiting.

I am on week, I don't even know, but about that long a Big Blonde Belgain. Tires one last night and all if did was fess out with no head yet, great taste for what it was, but still waiting.

is this the abstract poetry forum?

Back