Another busted high pressure gauge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CorneliusAlphonse

Reaction score
Hey all,

CO2 tank fell over and landed high pressure-gauge down. The little metal sheet got a bit bent, needle is stuck above it, so i don't know my pressure once it drops below 400. No big deal, if it's at 400 it's essentially empty anyway.

bigger issue: There is gas leaking from the threads of the high pressure gauge. So i need to fix it. My options as i see it are:
Remove HPG, replace with plug ($5)
Remove HPG, replace with new gauge ($15)
Remove HPG, fix, reinstall ($free)
Buy new regulator (~$60)

Obviously i'd prefer the free option if possible. Since the gas is coming from the threaded part, I figure if i remove and wrap the threads with teflon tape? or use lock thread stuff? What are you guys' thoughts.

Remove the gauge, inspect it and see if it's repairable or not. Unless it hit really hard, you shouldn't have bugger the threads (either the gauge or body). If you repair it, and it still leaks, then you'll need either a new gauge or regulator/body. This is why I have gauge cages on my regulators now.

I dropped my paintball regulator (on a bottle) and the face got bent too. Luckily, it could be fixed, and didn't need to be replaced.

What make regulator is this?? If you can't fix it, seems like a good opportunity to get a Taprite and cage. :D Or get one of the high pressure hoses and wall mount the regulator off of the tank. :rockin:

Back